11/32 staff/bead routing

flatfoot

Anyone have knowledge of a source of 11/32" staff/bead router cutters for arrow shaft making on a router jig setup please.

flatfoot

Geoff - Thank you for the lead. I have now contacted these guys. Did not immediately find an 11/32" cutter but waiting their reply.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
After much faffing about thinking about router cutters and jigs I decided to buy an 'Ashem 5/16" Rounding Plane' to make my arrow shafts. Chair makers use them for making dowels for jointing. Ashem told me that a number of archers use their rounding planes for making arrow shafts. Google 'Rounding Plane' and you will get lots of pics and videos about how they work. You can even make your own. I tried the DIY idea of drilling a hole on a steel bar and driving (using a power drill) the wood throught the hole, but the finish was awful. Google Ashem Crafts and look at their web page. Each plane does 'one size only'. You only have to cut your wood square to a size, fit it into a power drill and feed it through the 'plane'. Out comes a nice round dowel (arrow shaft), it takes about 60 seconds to make a shaft with a good finish.

flatfoot

I have looked at the Asham previously and determined that the form cutter would probably be preferable as I have complimentary machinery. However I have had no luck at all sourcing an 11/32" cutter. May well have to revisit the Ascham route. Thanks for the guidance. May I assume that you are happy with the quality of shafts produced. i.e. consistency of diameter along the shaft. Your "hands on" opinion would I think be of great value in my descision.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have looked at the Asham previously and determined that the form cutter would probably be preferable as I have complimentary machinery. However I have had no luck at all sourcing an 11/32" cutter. May well have to revisit the Ascham route. Thanks for the guidance. May I assume that you are happy with the quality of shafts produced. i.e. consistency of diameter along the shaft. Your "hands on" opinion would I think be of great value in my descision.
Glad I could help. I'm happy with the quality of the output shafts. They require minimum sanding to get a 'nice' surface finish. Correct sharpening and setting up the cutting blade is essential. I think the crucial thing is sourcing the best timber to cut from. In another thread about the cost of arrow shafts I found a link to Plug It Decorative Wood Products. They advertise dowels for arrow making. I sent a trial order. But the variation in spine weight was too adverse to make it worthwhile ordering any more. If you do a search in the arrow making DIY forum you may find the thread. At about ?80.00p the rounding plane is a bit pricey and may or may not prove the best decision for you.