1214 tribute - junior arrows

nbuuifx

Quick bit of history. We originally had a wooden bow for my daughter which came with some 14xx jazz arrows. We upgraded her bow to a Hoyt Excel 21" riser. She then outgrew the arrows. At that point the arrows wouldn't reach 30yards. We tried out some acc arrows which worked better even though technically they were too tough. The ACC arrows are 1500 spine and technically far too stiff.

Her form has been improving and her draw weight has been increasing so I thought I'd give aluminium arrows a try again given that the spine should match better. I found a set of brand new uncut 1214 shafts for sale cheap, so snapped them up.

Now I'm trying to work out what is best to use on them. They are direct fit for g nocks just like the ACC were, so can I use the ACC points as well? They look to fit but have a slight lip as I presume the outer diameter of the tribute shafts is less than the ACC arrows.

I'm not certain what poundage she is pulling right now, I'll weigh later but I expect it is around 15# otf.

I'm also not sure on her draw length but will measure that later too.

So my questions are, is it ok to use the ACC points?
What fletchings would be best? I have some spare little shield vanes. Are they ok? How far back would be best for the fletchings on this?

Also cut out not? Obviously they will be far too long uncut, like this she won't be able to use her clicker (sight mounted magnetic).

Thanks

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
The Easton catalog says to use g-nocks for the 1214s.
Point wise: you'd use normal Easton Ali points, I would think. They do ordinary and NIBB piles, but you may have to look around for a stockist.

nbuuifx

I've done some measuring currently after some recent coaching to correct posture and draw length we have the following:

Draw weight OTF: 15.5lbs
Arrow length: 23 1/4 inches. (From nock groove to end of point)
Clicker is just less than 1" beyond the edge of the riser. Or approx 2" from the centre of the button to the clicker.

The ACC points are 50gn. I've read that people use ACE points in the 1214 arrows but I'm not sure if they are much different to the ACC points? Only potential issue I can see is that they might be harder to pull out with a slight lip.

From a quick check on determining draw length I think that means that I need to do from the centre of the button (which is level with the throat of the grip) + 1.75". So 21.25 + 1.75" = 23" Draw Length.

Now I never can remember - does the Easton chart use arrow length at the top of its table or draw length?

It looks like she is just starting to approach having values that she can use on the Youth table!

Just can't work out if I'm better to leave the arrows long or to cut them down. I got the impression that the coach wanted them cut down to be level with the riser but I'm not sure if that will make them too stiff.

I could add a turn to the tiller bolts to get the poundage above 16# then I could cut the arrows to 23" which should all fit in with the Youth Chart

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
The charts use "correct shaft length", which they define as overhanging the rest by 1 inch.
So if the draw is 23", that would be 22.25" (22" on the chart).
But at this point it's all a bit academic. They change so fast that you tend to get them something a little stiff and a bit long, so that you don't have to change again in a couple of months...

So, I would not worry too much about the match on the charts at the moment. Cut them short enough so that the clicker can be used, but leave them "over length", if it doesn't work, you can always trim them a little more.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Agree with Rik - my son uses Easton Jazz arrows and he keeps growing; sadly you can shorten arrows but not lengthen them!

nbuuifx

I understand but given they're only a couple of quid a shaft, I'm not too worried.

I'd like to cut them down to a length that the clicker can be used at, then adjust the clicker in as she grows so that will give well over a an 1" of draw length growth.

I got 15 shafts for ?30, so I'll probably make up 7 arrows to start, so I can potentially make up another set of 7 that are longer later and have 1 spare for any breakages etc.

Can't find a definite answer on whether or not I should use the ACC points as they are physically the right size (at the end of the day the ACC 2-00 1500 are the exact size for a g nock to fit and so is the 1214 - so it goes to say the internal diameter is the same so the point will fit.) As I say the outer diameter of the ACC is actually slightly larger than the 1214 given that it has a thicker wall. This just leaves the point slightly wider than the shaft. The ACC are 50gn points, the 1214 I can only find in one piece bullet and they are 45gn.

I'm tempted to try the ACC points - as I have 7 spare in my toolbox and Merlin only have four 1214 one piece bullet points in stock.

Also any thoughts on the vanes? I've got some 1.5" shield vanes but I've noticed that compounders use these more than recurvers, Also not sure if something a little longer would add a bit more forgiveness? Perhaps a 2" parabolic vane?

The lightest weight carbon one points also fit a treat , my daughter had a very similar set of measurements to yours a few years ago . We ended up with the lightest point snapped off , worked a treat got her upto junior master bowman scores for under 12 and she could hit 50 yards all day long .