1st 1st Place

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I attended the Lancashire Archery Association Clout Championship over the weekend, shooting a AGB clout on the 2nd day.

Not only did I manage to beat my PB and earn my blue tassel, but managed to get 1st Gent's Visitor Longbow.

I've had a few trophies in the past in team target shoots, or lucky best gold, but this is the first time I've come top of the leader board for anything.

Because I know some will ask, bow and arrow specs are:

Bow:
Adrian Hayes Bow, 60-65lbs @ 24" (can't remember exactly). Bamboo backed, Ipe core and Ipe belly. Approximately 70 inches length.

Arrows:
Pine shafts, 11/32 rear tapered to 5/16. 100gr bearpaw modkin tips. 2" low profile parabolic fletchings.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Fantastic effort! We'll look forward to the 2nd 1st!
Well here it is. On the 2nd day of the Neston Tri-clout (I only did one day), it was also the Cheshire Clout Championship and the English archery Federation Championship.

So 1st Gent's Cheshire longbow archer (so shooting against longbow archers from Cheshire) shooting 180yds
and 1st Gent's Longbow archer for English Archery Federation(shooting against all longbow archers).
New PB and enough for a red tassel. :D

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Well done, you'll not be far off getting your Longbow Clout Bowman classification with scores like that (if you haven't already).
Currently shot 2 x 1st class scores, and bowmen score at competitions.

At non-competitions I've short a 1st class score on imperial and an MB on a Metric.

Alison

Well here it is. On the 2nd day of the Neston Tri-clout (I only did one day), it was also the Cheshire Clout Championship and the English archery Federation Championship.

So 1st Gent's Cheshire longbow archer (so shooting against longbow archers from Cheshire) shooting 180yds
and 1st Gent's Longbow archer for English Archery Federation(shooting against all longbow archers).
New PB and enough for a red tassel. :D
Well done! And a great day was had by all!

Zhoo Zhoo

Well done Raven! I haven't tried clout yet but I'm hoping to have a play at it soon. I haven't a clue how I'd shoot to 180 yds yet!

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Well done Raven! I haven't tried clout yet but I'm hoping to have a play at it soon. I haven't a clue how I'd shoot to 180 yds yet!
You will enjoy it. This year is my only real year I've done it. I tried it once last year but didn't make the distance, but stronger bow (I was upgrading anyway), and some new arrows and out to play......just a shame I've no where to practice, as my club can only shoot target not got a big enough over shoot for much more.

Zhoo Zhoo

You will enjoy it. This year is my only real year I've done it. I tried it once last year but didn't make the distance, but stronger bow (I was upgrading anyway), and some new arrows and out to play......just a shame I've no where to practice, as my club can only shoot target not got a big enough over shoot for much more.
I don't know if either of my bows will do it at 38# and 40# but I'll be interested to find out. We have the same constraints at my club but another club have offered us a visit to try clout after we set up a field shoot for them to try at the weekend. Also I have in mind a very flat private field that we might be able to use in future if I can see how it works.

D

Deleted member 7654

I don't know if either of my bows will do it at 38# and 40# but I'll be interested to find out. We have the same constraints at my club but another club have offered us a visit to try clout after we set up a field shoot for them to try at the weekend. Also I have in mind a very flat private field that we might be able to use in future if I can see how it works.
You should be ok if you shoot the ladies clout distance.
Short low profile fletchings help a lot. 2.5" parabolics and 70 grain points should get you a decent distance.
9/32" shafts would add a bit too, dunno if they would be stiff enough tho' prob' ok with a light point.
Bit like flight shooting, the arrow makes a big difference.
The Boo' Yew is pretty quick.
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

That's good to know Del. I think the Boo Yew has more oomph - lighter arrows won't damage it will they?
No, you can go down to very light before it will worry the bow.
I think a safe and sensible lower limit would be 250grains, but you'd actually have trouble trying to make an arrow that was that light and still stiff enough to shoot... unless you can fletch some spaghettii :) ;)
Going for maximum distance is quite interesting and sometimes the results can be counter intuitive e.g The lightest may not go the furthest.
Even testing through a chronometer can't tell you which will go the furthest! The fastest after 3 yards may not go the furthest if it waggles in the air or isn't aerodynamic.
Even the 2 1/2" fletchings can be trimmed down shorter and lower for best distance, but correct spine and a clean loose will give best arrow flight.
Sorry... rambling now!
Del