2011 uk rankings

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Well... I'm sticking with 50m, cause I really want to have a go at the round under competition conditions, and from the phrasing of the email (I'm assuming it's the Surreys??) the official compound round will be the 50m, with the compounds simply being allowed to shoot 70m if they wish (in the way gents can shoot lady rounds and visa versa)

So we have the first example of a comp with a Double 50m round now offering (but not replacing with, to their credit) a Double 70m round to Compounders as well. Be interesting to see how many non-squad 50m shooters there will be...

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
bimble said:
Well... I'm sticking with 50m, cause I really want to have a go at the round under competition conditions, and from the phrasing of the email (I'm assuming it's the Surreys??) the official compound round will be the 50m, with the compounds simply being allowed to shoot 70m if they wish (in the way gents can shoot lady rounds and visa versa)
Yes indeed - credit to the Surrey Star. As a Kentish archer, you must realise how much I'm having to suck it up to say that :cool:

I've switched to 70m for Surrey, mainly because I'm also in at Rivernook who'll have a H2H on the second day, so I'm assuming I'll get a crack at the 50m quallie round then. I do want to do both, but don't want to miss out on the rankings.

Darkcider

Especially when there are others who still have to find some 70m events.
Great to see this sticky'd, as at least AIUK can get the word around, even if AUK cannot!!

Luckily, I've got a couple of FITA70 shoots booked, as well as loads of Stars, but I'm struggling to find any H2H events, having missed Thirsk last weekend and their September one is not yet confirmed.

There's Orrell, but this clashes with another pre-booked event, so it looks like I'm stumped for the moment. Anyone any ideas for NCAS-region events including the Olympic element?

Cheers

Mike

AntiqueArcher

Darkcider,

Sorry I cannot offer advice for this directly.

In the long run I would like poor old Bob to be able to forget the h2h for longbows. Does he have a computer program to assess all record status shoot results? Maybe not necessary when only WRS shoots are taken into account....but all UKRS? That must make the job tuff, and I believe it's all voluntary.

Longbows do not and will not shoot internationally so there really is no point. We just take up space on the line at events where other archers need to be. Although I would argue the right for an LBer to pay his/her money and shoot just like others, I try not to be selfish and realise we now (unnecesserally) take spaces which others could utilize better at H2H events.

AA

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Great to see this sticky'd, as at least AIUK can get the word around, even if AUK cannot!!

Luckily, I've got a couple of FITA70 shoots booked, as well as loads of Stars, but I'm struggling to find any H2H events, having missed Thirsk last weekend and their September one is not yet confirmed.

There's Orrell, but this clashes with another pre-booked event, so it looks like I'm stumped for the moment. Anyone any ideas for NCAS-region events including the Olympic element?

Cheers

Mike

You've about exhausted H2H in the NCAS area but there is the Mauritania at Walker, last weekend in May - 2 x 70M with H2H.
Saville bowmen used to have a H2H annually but cancelled it last year due to venue I believe.. so fingers crossed they find a new venue and that may be on.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Something that no one on this thread has twigged to is that the 50m compound round alienates para-archers. Para compounds (and recurves) only shoot 70m rounds in international competition, so it makes shooting a national competition pointless. I have my suspicions that this may be why Surrey and others are giving archers a choice, as well as the change in the UK rankings. In that US (for example, the recent Gator Cup), the shoot catered for all rounds. So AB compounds shot the 50m round, while para compounds shot 70m, etc.

IMHO, FITA dropped the ball when they came up with the 50m round and completely forgot about para compound archers.

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
clickerati said:
Something that no one on this thread has twigged to is that the 50m compound round alienates para-archers. Para compounds (and recurves) only shoot 70m rounds in international competition, so it makes shooting a national competition pointless. I have my suspicions that this may be why Surrey and others are giving archers a choice, as well as the change in the UK rankings. In that US (for example, the recent Gator Cup), the shoot catered for all rounds. So AB compounds shot the 50m round, while para compounds shot 70m, etc.

IMHO, FITA dropped the ball when they came up with the 50m round and completely forgot about para compound archers.
Why does the IPC maintain different rules to FITA? Genuine interest.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Why does the IPC maintain different rules to FITA? Genuine interest.
Para-Archery now operates under the auspices of FITA and not separately, as it did in the past. So your guess is as good as mine.

Some info from FITA:
From 2006 IPC was encouraging sports to develop into sport specific organisations and to either become independent sports or to move their governance to the sport specific body. Following discussion with the archers it was their wish to approach FITA to see if they would take over the governance of disabled archery.

These talks were encouraging and IPC worked with FITA to complete the process. On 1 January 2009 Para-Archery started the move from IPC to FITA and the process was completed at FITA Congress that year.

Last edited:

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
clickerati said:
Para-Archery now operates under the auspices of FITA and not separately, as it did in the past. So your guess is as good as mine.
That's a classic organisational rick, then. Umbrella body with complete and total reach sets rules which are then not followed by sub-level bodies (either associated or independent) who cannot replicate the same reach.

In this instance, the IPC maintain a different rulebook to FITA. This would not be a problem except that the IPC can't sanction every tournament across the world like FITA can, via the WRS process.

So in local territories IPC archers shoot FITA tournaments, because there's nothing else, and then get a different rulebook when they get good enough to hit the IPC radar.

One alternative would be to have an IPC sanction (and rules) incorporated into all FITA events, but then this could separate Para-Archers on the line and possibly add cost and complexity to a tournament, simply to maintain what existed before the 70m/50m split.

The only answer that avoids the risks to the archers and to competition quality would be to follow the FITA rulebook with an overlay to meet the physical needs of para-archers. But this option would carry more risk to the IPC itself who may baulk at losing much of their independence.

Darkcider

You've about exhausted H2H in the NCAS area but there is the Mauritania at Walker, last weekend in May - 2 x 70M with H2H.
Saville bowmen used to have a H2H annually but cancelled it last year due to venue I believe.. so fingers crossed they find a new venue and that may be on.
Yes, I'd seen the historical status of the Savile F70 & H2H, but also see it's not confirmed yet - fingers crossed.

Thanks for the heads up on the Mauritania shoot too LMP, but I'm already booked into the Cumbria Open that weekend. I'll just have to hope that something comes up, or I'll have to settle for just achieving (G)MB for this year.

Cheers,
Mike

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Of course, in the case of para-archery there isn't the drive to make compound different to try to get it into the Olympics as compound is already in the Paralympics which might be why no-one has thought of it. I do suspect that the Surrey switch is more due to the fact that 50m compound is only good for WRS and people, such as LunkShooter, will be looking for 70m which is only good for national ranking.

I'm going to assume from next year onwards compound will only be 50m, including ranking.

G

GuardianAngel

Of course, in the case of para-archery there isn't the drive to make compound different to try to get it into the Olympics as compound is already in the Paralympics which might be why no-one has thought of it. I do suspect that the Surrey switch is more due to the fact that 50m compound is only good for WRS and people, such as LunkShooter, will be looking for 70m which is only good for national ranking.

I'm going to assume from next year onwards compound will only be 50m, including ranking.
I am only shooting the 70m because my 70m sucks and I need the practice for the next days FITA.

Having done the rankings for the last two years, I have realised its a waste of time doing any kind of 720 or H2H. They don't get you MB or GMB, Yorks and FITA's do.

C

Compound10

I guess they are there to show those in the rankings are "whole" archers rather than just banging out yorks and fitas all day long ... but does seem a bit pointless.

G

GuardianAngel

I guess they are there to show those in the rankings are "whole" archers rather than just banging out yorks and fitas all day long ... but does seem a bit pointless.
I agree, but I guess we all have different goals, and mine is solely MB/GMB.

J_Dudley

Sort of related question to UK Rankings

First Year I am going to aim for a UK Ranking so just need a couple of questions about it sorted (Sorry if it is answered somewhere else)

- Reading you need 3 FITA, 2 720's and 1 Olympic Round. Am I right in saying the Olympic Round is a H2H.
- If I go do two 70m's with H2H in the afternoon would that count as the 2 720's and Olympic
- Do I need to do anything at the end of the year or does GNAS work it all out for us

Thanks

G

GuardianAngel

Sort of related question to UK Rankings

First Year I am going to aim for a UK Ranking so just need a couple of questions about it sorted (Sorry if it is answered somewhere else)

- Reading you need 3 FITA, 2 720's and 1 Olympic Round. Am I right in saying the Olympic Round is a H2H.
- If I go do two 70m's with H2H in the afternoon would that count as the 2 720's and Olympic
- Do I need to do anything at the end of the year or does GNAS work it all out for us

Thanks
John, its all a bit of a mess this year with compound (I assume you are compound?).

The criteria is as follows:

3 x FITA's (WRS/Star events, not GNAS FITA's)

2 x 720 rounds (again, WRS not GNAS), BUT, for compound GNAS are only allowing 70m 720 points to be counted for ranking for compound, not 50m 720's (why???).

2 x H2H matches. Last year with the set system the points didn't count (because it was set points), but you had to shoot two H2H rounds to allow your other rounds to be considered. This year, compound is a 15 arrow pass with real scoring, so they may count, but whether they do or not you still have to do two.

If you shoot a 720 qualifier and H2H on the Saturday, then a 720 qualifier and H2H on the Sunday then that can count as two.

I'm off to shoot longbow...

J_Dudley

John, its all a bit of a mess this year with compound (I assume you are compound?).
Its James and Recurve but I get the idea

If you shoot a 720 qualifier and H2H on the Saturday, then a 720 qualifier and H2H on the Sunday then that can count as two.
Just to confirm if I shot a 720 + H2H on a Saturday and Sunday that would count as the 2nd and 3rd parts. All I would need then would be the 3 FITA's?

Also do you need to do anything at the end of the year or GNAS sort it all out for you?

Thanks

el_t

The criteria is as follows:

3 x FITA's (WRS/Star events, not GNAS FITA's)

2 x 720 rounds (again, WRS not GNAS), BUT, for compound GNAS are only allowing 70m 720 points to be counted for ranking for compound, not 50m 720's (why???).

2 x H2H matches. Last year with the set system the points didn't count (because it was set points), but you had to shoot two H2H rounds to allow your other rounds to be considered. This year, compound is a 15 arrow pass with real scoring, so they may count, but whether they do or not you still have to do two.

I'm off to shoot longbow...
Now I'm really confused (again). :p
I read from the AGB website that UKRS FITAs are counted this year, and that only one H2H was required, not two.

Having said that, due to work commitments and school holidays etc. I'm struggling to find two 70m shoots, never mind more (and with the weather being unpredictable I'll need few goes at it to get decent scores). :-(
I know 'it's my own fault' and so on, but for people who can't get to a shoot every weekend the rankings are painfully difficult to get scores for. In my experience, anyway. I wonder if there is a more 'clever' method that could be used...only wondering, not expecting it to change.

Cheers,
Linda

T101

this is endless confusion, does anyone know if the 2 15 arrow 70m h2h scores count this year??? the masters is 50m so take it that can't b used anyway. PITA someone clear this up once and for all please, its melting whats left of my brain.

Anna K

Ironman
The details are set out by clicking the "more" on this link.

Target - Archery GB

There's a lot of incorrect information above, so yes the FITA 50m H2H counts as a compound (score doesn't get included, you only have to have shot a H2H at either distance).
UKRS FITAs can be included this year.

If you shoot 2 FITA 70m on a day, both scores can count as long as its UKRS.

Edit: as an aside, I'm finding it a nighmare that 50m doesn't count towards rankings, I'm struggling to find 70m (as others appear to be) and seeing as it's the new compound distance...