2nd class recurve - here I come :)

Corax67

Nice results. Sometimes, the "downs" are there to keep us on track and let us realise what really matters.

Thanks Geoff - it got even better yesterday at our Mid Kent league match, shot a Windsor and got a huge PB scoring 753 compared to my previous PB of 691 & my 'doldrums' score last month of 546. Put me in the pure score team and I shot way over my handicap so made the handicap team too :)

It was worth the mild heat stroke for a day like that

Karl

ieuan_johns

Thanks Geoff - it got even better yesterday at our Mid Kent league match, shot a Windsor and got a huge PB scoring 753 compared to my previous PB of 691 & my 'doldrums' score last month of 546. Put me in the pure score team and I shot way over my handicap so made the handicap team too :)

It was worth the mild heat stroke for a day like that

Karl
Well done mate, I went through a similar bout of improvement earlier this summer, something just clicks and every week seems to be a step up for a while.

Bertybobby

Well done... I try to persuade some of our guys to shoot longer distances to gain classifications or just the feeling that when you come back down the distance it feels so much easier.

1st Class here you come!!

Corax67

I have to admit that I popped into Quicks yesterday to collect some stuff on back order, purchased a shiny 2nd class badge for my quiver and cheekily got a 1st class one just in case I have another couple of sessions as good as last weekend :)

Karl

ieuan_johns

I have to admit that I popped into Quicks yesterday to collect some stuff on back order, purchased a shiny 2nd class badge for my quiver and cheekily got a 1st class one just in case I have another couple of sessions as good as last weekend :)

Karl
Does your club not provide them? We give ours out for free :/.

Good luck with the 1st, it's a fairly large jump up from second what with having to go out to 70m/80y and all that, taken me most of the summer to get to that level having just snuck a 2nd badge at the end of last year.

bolerus

when attempting your first class, I would highly recommend trying WA70 ( used to be called fita 70m)

that is 6 dozen at 70 Metres on a 122 face.

there are a few reasons why I say that.
1. its not quite 80 yards ( its actually 77 yards) so not as much of a step up from 60yards you are probably used to
2. its all at one distance, so no moving bosses, and potentially forgetting to change your sights / get it wrong and losing points
3. its 10 zone scoring, so when you hit a red, and get an 8 it feels like you are gettign a bonus point ( instead of all reds being 7)
4. to get a first class you need to score 437 from the round which breaks down to 36.41 per end or just under 6.1 per arrow, so basically 5 x6 and 1x 7 and you have nailed it.
5. Its good practice for when you enter the Olympics ( we can dream)

I got mine a couple of weeks ago ( got the third required score doing a long national though) I keep looking a Bowman and running away screaming from the 100yard requirement ( I dont think there are any rounds for BM that dont need 100ayrds are there?)

OtherGeoff

Only the metric ones which are 90m (about 98.5 yards). ;-)

For Bowman scores your options are:
York, St. George, New Western, or New National for imperial rounds.
WA1440, or a Long Metric for metric rounds.

bolerus

thanks OtherGeoff ( I like the name)

I guess a St. George is the 'Easiest' only 3 dozen at 100, and also includes the much easier 60yards to boost your score up

I am a little way off yet, I have noticed that Bowman rounds all need a score that would give a handicap of 36, I have just got my HC to 41 so hopefully next season I stand a chance.

Anyway this isnt my thread :-0)

ieuan_johns

Fully agree on the WA 720 70m as the best option for a 1st class (The 60m version is also underrated for 2nd class IMO), there are also a reasonable number of tournaments shot at that distance so it's a good one to get used to. The only downside is that I tend to find that Metric rounds induce more target panic in some archers because they are thinking "hit the 10-ring" instead of just "anywhere in the gold".

Corax67

Does your club not provide them? We give ours out for free :/.

Good luck with the 1st, it's a fairly large jump up from second what with having to go out to 70m/80y and all that, taken me most of the summer to get to that level having just snuck a 2nd badge at the end of last year.
We give them to the juniors but it's assumed the seniors are above badges - however I am basically a really big 10 yr old and I like shiny badges on my quiver :)

Karl

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Really big 10 year olds should make their own badges from milk bottle tops. Blue Peter and all that!!
What is this modern generation coming to.!

ieuan_johns

We give them to the juniors but it's assumed the seniors are above badges - however I am basically a really big 10 yr old and I like shiny badges on my quiver :)

Karl
We're all really big 10 year olds, I mean we're playing with bows and arrows for pete's sake.

Corax67

Fully agree on the WA 720 70m as the best option for a 1st class (The 60m version is also underrated for 2nd class IMO), there are also a reasonable number of tournaments shot at that distance so it's a good one to get used to. The only downside is that I tend to find that Metric rounds induce more target panic in some archers because they are thinking "hit the 10-ring" instead of just "anywhere in the gold".
As a club we only shoot 6 dozen arrow imperial rounds on a Saturday & 9 dozen imperial when we have county league matches - I suppose I could set up a metric target but I am enjoying the challenge of the Long National at the moment.

Karl