3D Field Archery Centres / Courses?

Pete_Mc

I wonder if any veteran field archers out there can tell me if there are field archery courses / centres other than Wye Valley down on the Welsh borders.
Whilst I've been told this is an excellent course, it's just a bit of a hoof from 'up North'. I know there are open shoots on most weekends, but I'd like to have a go at a 3D course if there any others like this...

Pete_Mc

Thanks for the link to the NFAS clubs & shoots Simon, I've been there a few times; it is useful.
This does lead me to believe that there probably is only one place in the UK where you can roll up and shoot on a field archery course every weekend & that is Wye Valley.

I presume your point is that if you want to travel all over the country you probably can find a shoot somewhere ... thanks again.

Simon Banks

Depends on the club understanding with the landowner. My home club Magna Carta and for ?20 a year I can shoot any day from 10am til Dusk. For me only 20 mins drive. [emoji1018]. Not really Welsh Borders though ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alison

Have you looked at Wrexham Bowmen's field course? Mainly round targets but they have great 3D animals on one target. Just had a brilliant day there and you can shoot 365 days a year.

Pete_Mc

Thanks simon, Alison & evolram,
whilst I've migrated from GNAS target shooting to NFAS I am still technically a paid up GNAS member so I could well give it a go.
There don't seem to be many GNAS field outfits up here in the North West and there are a lot of NFAS clubs, which gives me quite a bit of choice for shoots.
But the idea of a course that's open all year round does sound good. Like Simon I too can shoot at my home club, Sabden Fold, but the course isn't laid out all year - a couple of practice bosses is fine, but Wrexham does sound interesting.
Again, thanks for the info.
Cheers Pete.

Pete_Mc

Some nice 3Ds there... are they normally distributed around the course?
Or is this just a monty haul predator / prey shot? :poulies:

Simon Banks

I tried taking pictures of some of our targets but it's hard to find them ;-)

This ones at the red peg facing a target at around 45yards..

Valkamai

I tried taking pictures of some of our targets but it's hard to find them ;-)

This ones at the red peg facing a target at around 45yards..

Cant see very well on my phone but is that a bigfoot sighting about halfway up towards the left ?:p

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

evolram

Yeh can see something but couldn't tell you what they are and if I shoot at them wouldn't know if it was a hit.

Valkamai

Not exactly a simulation of a real ethical hunting shot is it. I thought nfas was all about recreating genuine hunting scenarios ? :confused:

Simon Banks

First one is a Hyena (mid 40 yards) and the second is a turkey at just over 15 yards. The purpose of NFAS courses is to simulate/practice bow hunting.

In my opinion clearly 40 yards is too far for an ethical shot but the point is your improving your accuracy so it's acceptable for paper/rubber targets. Also shooting accurately up to 50 yards allows the archer to know what ranges are ethical. Same goes with hidden ground and shooting through obstacles etc. The targets don't often have the kills marked so we have to learn where they are. I think it's lot of fun and instinctive/traditional archery friendly.

Whilst I don't bow hunt I feel I could reliably get a kill shot on a deer at up to 20 yards with my longbow.. ;-). Of course I've no skill in stalking so I think even if I do take up how hunting the animals are going to be safe.

Simon Banks

Big game rules are first arrow scores each arrow is from a different couloir peg (red,white,blue) 1st arrow kill:20 wound:16 2nd arrow kill:14 wound:10 and 3rd arrow kill:8 wound:4. The pegs get progressively easier so it means if your not as experienced you can still pickup points and keep you morale up. Don't forget this is practice. When I go round my home clubs course I shoot every peg regardless of my hits which is why I have three kills in the picture above. I shot three arrows from three different pegs...

This time of year to keep comps short one arrow shoots are common due to the short days they are very brutal though. You see people winning with less than half their regular 3 arrow scores.

It's achingly difficult with a stick and string.. But the feeling when it cones together more than makes up for all the effort. Truly unmarked ranges make it unique skillset. Consistency, distance estimation and learning where to place to arrow on each target...

This one was about 30 yards I shot all three from the red peg... But my brain had the wrong range... ;-). Nice enough grouping though..