40 or 45mm spin wings?

rod

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
has any one tried both size spin wings?

i refleched my x10's on saturday with 40mm spins, and shot my worst ever frostbite with them. has anyone tried them, did you get on with then?

rod

backinblack

I currently use the 1 3/4 inch ones. Had a go with the 1 9/16 inch ones (sorry not sure what these are in metric terms) last year but dropped them as I didn't like the look of the way my arrows were flying with them - the back end kept stepping out early on in their flight.

I'm not sure that it had a huge impact on group size but clearly something was not quite right. I don't know whether there was some other issue with my set up but I wasn't having the same problem with the larger ones so I have kept with them. I have found no disadvantage in performance terms from doing so.

Hope this helps some.
Backinblack

not dead yet

Ironman
shot both .better groups with smaller ones. used them for yrs tried other fletchings now n then keep goin back to the small spinny's

how ever i think you do need a consistant shot with them.

pete

buzz lite beer

I have used both 1-3/4" & 1-9/16" spinwings and also have used 40mm & 45mm Kurly vanes. I can get each to group well, at the end of the day I bought my X10's for their wind cheating design, so with that in mind, what was the point of putting a larger fletching than necessary that woud act as "sails" to all intense purpose and get caught by cross winds by comparison to the smaller ones and detract from these wind cheating properties.
Like everything else in this game it's down to trial and error, using smaller vanes may require them to be attatched with more offset angle for the way each individual archer shoots to achive better results.

buzz lite beer

I will be using my old set of X10's with 45mm Kurly's that I'm currently shooting indoors at your clubs "soup shoot" and also at Backworth American

not dead yet

Ironman
I will be using my old set of X10's with 45mm Kurly's that I'm currently shooting indoors at your clubs "soup shoot" and also at Backworth American
i tried kurly's once had major issues grouping at 90 and 70 mtrs....

but you say you dont see a diff. between kurlys and spinnys

pete.

ps dont reply with your a better archer that wont wash....lol

buzz lite beer

I wouldn't say better Pete, no not at all "superior" I think would be more fitting :cheerful:
the only fletching I had issues with at distance was those flonite k-vanes.

addo

I changed from smallest black spinwing to 40mm kurly.Arrows act a bit stiffer (bareshaft).Arrow flight,groups and sightmarks seem similiar,but not shot enough outdoors to be able to say anything concrete.

Because of a lack of shooting time,and bad weather,i've had to go indoors a few times this year.Set pb at a portsmouth and am scoring higher than usual,with the 40mm kurly.Arrow groups are actually better than with the bigger vanes.Hit a lot more tens.I know most use bigger/biggest fletches for indoors so thats strange.

By the way.....my arrows are a/c/e's

buzz lite beer

I changed from smallest black spinwing to 40mm kurly.Arrows act a bit stiffer (bareshaft).Arrow flight,groups and sightmarks seem similiar,but not shot enough outdoors to be able to say anything concrete.
:scratchch As the bare shaft comparison test method of tuning is used to indicate how stiff or weak an arrow is reacting compared to the central or "steared" (the supposed direction the bow is pointing), what I understand you are saying is that the selection or change of vane to Kurly's must have moved the impacts of the fletched arrows further to the left than that of the spinwings if you are recording "stiffer" indicated results the bare shaft impact must surely have remained "the constant" impact during your tests with each fletching type.

addo

Shooting 9 arrow ends.....3 x bareshaft,3 x each size vane in random order on a portsmouth target face at 20 yards.Shot about 10 ends

40mm vanes closest to bareshafts.In my case the 40mm were grouping on right edge of bareshafts and bigger vanes were grouping on right edge of the 40mm group.I shoot my a/c/e's slightly weak and usually have daylight between bareshaft and fletched arrows with spinwings.Not so with the 40mm kurlies.

My understanding was that smaller/lighter/less stiff fletch would move arrow further away to the right of bareshafts(in my case),if anything.My understanding was also that smaller/lighter/less stiff fletch would be useless indoors but they working at the moment.Perhaps 40mm fletched arrow at 20y behaves too much like a bareshaft so travels in a very similiar way.Perhaps 40mm kurly are what you might call negligable and even too small or even the limit of what is correct for my arrow.Sometimes i shoot better groups bareshaft at 20y than fletched arrows.Reading this suggests that i may have to do things wrong way round.Smaller fletch at short distance and bigger at long.I is a bit confused

I still have same arrows and need some shooty excercise/practice,so i'll shoot some more 9 arrow ends at 30m on Saturday.That could amplify things further.

addo

Done a bit of testing :) 40lb on fingers,28 1/2" long a/c/e 570's with 100g points. Tuned so arrows slightly weak (bareshaft)

Groups were tighter at 70/90m using 1 9/16" spinnies.Sightmarks better as well with smaller ones but negligable at shorter distance.Groups were tighter at 30/50m with the 1 3/4" ones.

40mm kurlies gave best groups of all at 70/90m and worst groups of all at 30/50m.Although groups were better at 70m i did find it easier to shoot the odd blue with a bad release.Sightmarks same as smallest spinnies at all distances.

the back end kept stepping out early on in their flight.
Found this happening also using smallest kurly vane.They don't seem to get control of the rear quick enough.Could be why i found them wanting at the shorter distance.Doesn't seem to effect where arrow goes at longer distance though.Also found that the small kurly less forgiving of a bad release than the small spinwing.

Leaning towards smallest spinwing as being best overall fletch although have to say the smallest kurly works very well if your shooting well