[American Flatbow] 67" AFB String Length / Bracing Height?

Pete_Mc

Hello archery gurus. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they would consider would be the ideal string length for a Union Jack AFB 67", 48# @28", with self nocks which are not built up. The current string is 61.5" (66" between nocks ) & the bracing height is 8".
I assume that this is all correct as the bow shoots nicely BUT as a convert from taeget shooting ELB I find the string 'seems' short and the bracing height high, but it does hAve a lovely D shape and shoots well...

Cheers Pete.

Pete_Mc

Thanks Berny.
Nice bows - can't fail to admire a Belcher Union Jack.
Having got the bow off another archer who knows his stuff, my immediate thoughts were that it had been tuned by him to suit his style.
The old adage, if it aint broke, dont fix it sprung to mind. But I wanted to get a spare string just in case and thought 61.5" seemed too short, so hence the ask.

Now I think I measured the bracing height incorrectly, using Jim's method the bracing height is just over 7" and when I measured the bow strung the string was just shy of 63" - so its close to spot on, perhaps I could let a couple of twists out...
Being a noob, I am wary of the bowyers knot, and would just rather get double loops and just add / decrease twists without fear of the knot untying...
As ever Bernie, thanks for your help and advice!
Cheers Pete.

Berny

Thanks Berny.
Nice bows - can't fail to admire a Belcher Union Jack.
Having got the bow off another archer who knows his stuff, my immediate thoughts were that it had been tuned by him to suit his style.
The old adage, if it aint broke, dont fix it sprung to mind. But I wanted to get a spare string just in case and thought 61.5" seemed too short, so hence the ask.

Now I think I measured the bracing height incorrectly, using Jim's method the bracing height is just over 7" and when I measured the bow strung the string was just shy of 63" - so its close to spot on, perhaps I could let a couple of twists out...
Being a noob, I am wary of the bowyers knot, and would just rather get double loops and just add / decrease twists without fear of the knot untying...
As ever Bernie, thanks for your help and advice!
Cheers Pete.
I've found a lot of bows are/were sold with a string that i would say braces/braced too high - ok so tune is personal, but in some cases ....
often higher brace heights are used to avoid wrist/arm slap - whereas perhaps a change in grip might be more beneficial & also improve bow life.

Personally I like to shoot with as low a brace-height as possible & tend to start around the 6-6.5 mark & work up if necessary.
(my "rule of thumb" - fistmele is circa 6.5" so easy to check).

Beyond the check/test the single loop string is then replaced .... i will usually shoot a few arrows as a further check,
making sure the bowyers knot sits right in the nock & string-grooves - if it starts off right & the limbs aren't twisted it should stay right,
but i do keep a close eye on it.

If a string is too short no amount of twisting will help!