68" or 70" whats the score

Craig P

As some may have noticed from my what limbs post in equipment my Petron S3's have given up the ghost and now i need something new as my spare challengers 68" 36# at 28" may not be up to the challenge :melodrama
i was wondering whats the difference between the 68" and 70" mark
i'm 6' and draw 29"
what can i get away with my S3's were 68" 42#
if i go longer do i up poundage to compensate?
will it give me less pinching at fingers?
what else will change?
all info greatfully rec'd

currie1014

you are probably better off with 70inch due to your height and draw length. using a bow set up of 68 with such a draw length of yours will be no good to you or the equipment. You will be overdrawing the limbs and this will not help your shooting..
The poundage you will need will be up to you. Best guess is to go to quicks or someone similar in your area and try out different weight limbs..

Ffish

Interesting...

I'm 6'0" and draw 29 1/2 inches, with 34lbs limbs (so I guess it's nearer to 36lbs on the fingers) and I've never felt the need for anything bigger.

I'd be interested to know other people's input on this thread, as I was considering some carbon limbs for Xmas...

Raedwald

My 14 yr old son is over 6' and has a draw of just under 30" (I recon he shoots javelins not arrows....... :raspberry )

Clickers recommended 70" for him, to (among other things) be smoother and improve the draw.

currie1014

Ffish said:
Interesting...

I'm 6'0" and draw 29 1/2 inches, with 34lbs limbs (so I guess it's nearer to 36lbs on the fingers) and I've never felt the need for anything bigger.

I'd be interested to know other people's input on this thread, as I was considering some carbon limbs for Xmas...
you will probably find your draw weight is a little higher than you think. When you are next at your club ask someone if you can measure your draw weight..

currie1014

Raedwald said:
My 14 yr old son is over 6' and has a draw of just under 30" (I recon he shoots javelins not arrows....... :raspberry )

Clickers recommended 70" for him, to (among other things) be smoother and improve the draw.
yep spot on..

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I had a 69" bow and changed to a 70". I could feel the difference on my fingers as less pinch. However, the 69" didn't give too much pinch so that was not a deciding factor. If you had a problem with pinching,70" would reduce it ,Ifeel.

Siegeengine

Hi guys. I was googling for info on bow height an came across this. Hope it helps.

Bow Length:
Ideally your bow length needs to match your draw length. The reason being that the bow limbs are designed to be used at a particular draw length range, if you use a bow with limbs to long for your draw length, i.e. you have a 26" draw length and use a 70" bow, you won't be flexing the limbs enough to make them effecient for your draw length, the other extreme is that if the bow is too short then you will pull it so much you will nearly pull it in two.
A matched 'limb-to-draw' length will be far more effecient, the bow will feel smoother and arrow speed will be maximised. So somewhere in the middle is the happy medium, a bow which your arm length will when fully pulled flex the bow enough to deliver the power to the arrow but not too much so as to over stress the bow. Usually the arrow length for a man 5' 10" is about 27-29" and this needs a bow length of 66-68" for target archery
14-16" = 48" bow
18-20" = 54" bow
20-22" = 58" bow
22-24" = 62" bow
24-26" = 64" bow
26-28" = 66" bow
28-30" = 68" bow
30+ = 70" bow

Hell-Fire

that has got me thinking i have recently noticed a considerable increase in draw length and have a 68" bow and going off of your list i definatly need the longer bow but it does entail a new riser though and while i would relish a safty related excuse to buy a new one im just not in a position to buy one Damn insurance comapany's not liking me just because im 17 :thumbsdow