String 8190 bow string

jime_d

Hi

Has anyone used 8190 string yet for a recurve, i am thinking of getting a string made from this when i get my new bow. Is it faster than 8125G?

Thanks
jim

zerofuhrer

Have made the switch from 8125G to 8190. So far no noticeable changes in sight marks but my bow has become much more quieter. Not sure if the number of strands has anything to do with it. Was shooting 16 Strand 8125G, now 21 Strand 8190.

fanio

how do you make a 21-strand string??

a club mate has done it, using 18 strands (mid 30s poundage-wise) and loves the feel. put a few extra twists in.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
how do you make a 21-strand string??
Stop when you get to 21 strands (round the posts 10.5 times) :).
Of course, some people like to tie the ends together, which would make that impossible (except by cutting a strand out afterwards...). But it's not actually necessary, as the serving ties everything in place.

It's maybe slightly more fiddly doing an odd number of strands, but only slightly.

zerofuhrer

Well, I'm using Beiter #2 Large grove nocks, so I'll have to use 21 strands + 0.21 Halo serving to get a good nock fit, so far, it's all good!

Flyingwatchmaker

I've made a Flemish string for my wife's bow, 13 strand with .021 halo... Very nice! I've got a couple in the works for my bow, just need to adjust my string jig to let me serve properly ;-)

I'm going to make a few strand counts from 13 to 20, just to see what they shoot like!

Tom

jime_d

"when i get my new bow. "

The bow will be SF ultimate carbon with 34# SF elite limbs, i wonder if 20/22 strand 8190 will be ok with these limbs?

i use 18 strand 8125 at the moment on my cheap bow and it helped me get up to 70m/80y with 32# limbs, i tried 16 strand but it was too erratic.