90" x 90" Straw Mat Boss

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
<font size="2">Treated myself to one of these the other day so I could carry on changing nappies and shooting?at home! Main reason for buying it was to build up my endurance so I wouldn't be shooting from a long distance - you'll probably guess what happened ;)</font></p>

<font size="2">Set it up in front of the garage door (balanced against the door on a recycle box) and just to be sure placed a 2" thick plank of wood behind the boss, retired to a safe distance (some 10') and continued, quite literally, to nail the boss to the garage door and splinter the 2" thick plank in the process. I also managed to splinter 3 of my carbons (luckily they were an old cheap set) and I still can't get the points out of the door!</font></p>

<font size="2">I've remedied this by building a target stand and hanging a thick rubber welcome mat behind the boss to absorb the force of the arrows and it seems to be doing the job :)</font></p>

<font size="2">So, quick word of warning, don't buy one of these cheap bosses if you're shooting at home over a short distance!</font></p>

<font size="2">And yes, I do realise that this probably qualifies me for a Fonz award but I won't tell Gold Flinger if you don't :)</font></p>

Gold Flinger

Fonz Awardee
Too late dude, as the man himself would say: "Stupid, yes. Also dumb. But it is something I've gotta do."
You learned a valuable lesson: When you upgrade your bow, you need to upgrade your boss! :)
Just thank your luckys that it wasn't your Sunday best ACCs that you anihilated.
But I think the Fonz Award should go to whoever keeps selling those bosses. They should have a warning attached: "ONLY SUITABLE FOR TOYS ARE US APACHE JOE ARCHERY OUTFITS - THE ONES WITH SUCKERS ON THE END OF THE WOODEN ARROWS".
You could try what I did: get a load of old carpet and cardboard boxes and sandwich them together. Stick to a nice wool carpet though - I'm not being a snob; synthetic ones melt to carbons like nobody's business. :(

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
We also bought the afore mentioned boss and even though as newbie's we missed more than we hit - the arrows now are quite prone to go straight through the centre(ish) of the boss and into a tree behind!!

cliveanne

Ironman
I have used these in the past to teach, when we first set up our little business, they do not last long, but I have found that if I put 3 back to back & keep out of the centre they will still do the job

Archery1st

Go the sensible route and use a layered foam target, they are cheap, hard wearing and will stop any arrow from any bow (inc my 80lb hunting bow shooting 300 grain arrows at 375fps ouch :p ) and finally you can rip them apart, repack and get more life from them.</p>

The only big downside is they weigh more than those cigarette paper thickness straw ones, but thats a small price to pay for being able to shoot and know your arrows will be stopped.</p>