A new bow set up.

colin P

I started this sport just under 6 months ago,and done nothing in the conventional way!. I bought a training bow from the very start. One of those "everything a beginner needs" jobs. As it turns out it's not too bad a bit of kit . My club has said when I upgrade they may be interested in buying the off me ! So anyways right from the start i was hooked. I have always been looking on line for what I think is a nice bow etc. Right from the start of looking I fancied the Kinetic Halo. Don't know why really ,I just did. So I compiled a list of everything I would need , called about half a dozen retailers ,who all agreed I was looking along the right lines. Sadly none of them had in stock all the parts I required. So again I went against the grain and bought items from individual retailers. Armed with the Internet I have set about putting my new intermediate bow together. The Kinetic riser feels a lot better in my hand than the trainer bow does. It feels a lot more balanced too. SF carbon/foam limbs really do have a fantastic finish . No blemishes that I can see so far ,unlike the riser. It has 2 paint runs on the face of the riser . Not big ,but I noticed them all the same . I suppose it makes it unique!! . Well that's what I am telling myself. No instructions in the box with the riser. I did read this before ,but really come on Kinetic how much would it cost to put something together on how to put it all together ? As I said earlier armed with the Internet I have a brace height of 8 3/4" and a top tiller of 1/8 " greater than the bottom limb. I didn't have to adjust the tiller at all so I was lucky on that front. My custom fast flight string was added . A few gentle pulls just in case ,all looks and feels OK. Rechecked everything again . No movement anywhere so brace height and tiller all good . Rested the bow across the back of two chairs to check the limb alignment with the help of my limb blocks. Got a shock as to how small they were when first unpacked them!! All good here ,so to double check I Rested two arrows across the limbs and they both lined up ,after I was able to bend the old knees low enough to look at the arrows. So have I been lucky so far or is this the norm its new archery equipment? Is a thread lock used to make sure the sight bar clamp stays in place on the riser or is it just checked often? I hope to shoot tomorrow evening after work so wish me luck or PLEASE advise me of anything I have forgotten about .
Happy shooting peeps 😉

Corax67

Hi - this degree of "out of the box" setup is perfectly normal (there are sometimes exceptions) and it sounds like you have covered the basics off pretty well.

I don't threadlock my sight block onto the riser but do check it often, this is because I use the one riser as both my Olympic recurve and Barebow so it gets taken on / off a fair bit during the course of a year.

Have you fitted a button and rest (if not pre-fitted) and checked the centre shot with an arrow in place?

The easiest way to see if something is awry is to shoot the bow, so give it a go and see how you get on - happy shooting.

Karl

colin P

Not set up button yet . Didn't want to get too far incase I had made a mistake somewhere ! .
Thanks for reply .

colin P

Not set up button yet . Didn't want to get too far incase I had made a mistake somewhere ! .
Thanks for reply .

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Colin
If you go to Methodolgy/Coaching section, the first Sticky by Buzz is all about setting up a bow. Page 3 has very clear pictures to help.
Setting up the button is part of the alignment so if you can see your bow is well aligned you will have no problems getting the button set up for centre shot position.( Just outside centre in reality)
The stiffness setting is not so easy to put into any precise terms so most archers make sure the spring tension setting isn't so stiff that the button won't move inwards when they squeeze it. Nor is it so soft that it moves at the slightest touch. The click click button on the end of a ball point pen or similar, is a bit too light, but not that far off.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Regarding the sight mounting block on the riser:
They can work loose, and it's not always obvious on inspection when they do. I wouldn't recommend threadlock, though. My approach is a section of double sided foam fixing tape ("outdoor sticky fixer" or similar) between the block and the riser. This keeps the block more secure, by both reducing the effects of vibration and taping the block to the riser, and it provides some protection for the finish on the riser as the block doesn't come into direct contact with it.
In the past I used various sorts of "washer" material, leather, rubber, even cut up AGB cards... But double sided tape has been my go-to for the last decade or so.

backinblack

I use the blue threadlock which I understood not to be permanent (I thought that was the red stuff) however, I do have the sight bracket stuck on my old riser and have stripped out the threads on the hex bolts so will need to drill them out. So, threadlock can be more permanent that you would wish.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Yes, you've done most of the "static setup" tests - except for the button extension i.e. Centeshot alignment. Oh, and you should also check that your sight track is perfectly vertical i.e. parallel with the string. If you want to go the extra mile, check your bow is aligned when at full draw too - though this requires a tool to hold the string on full draw safely. There are several good guides out there: e.g. a badic one on Osterley Archers' web site; and a big one from FITA (part of their set of excellent guides).
Having done all that, move on to "dynamic setup" - i.e. arrow tune. Bare-shaft tests, and/or brown paper and/or walkback. These are in the FITA guide too. They're all about getting right the arrow spine, point weight, button pressure, nocking point thickness & position, vane orientation & clearance, etc.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I use the blue threadlock which I understood not to be permanent (I thought that was the red stuff) however, I do have the sight bracket stuck on my old riser and have stripped out the threads on the hex bolts so will need to drill them out. So, threadlock can be more permanent that you would wish.
You are correct. BLUE is 'undoable' without damaging the thread.

I started this sport just under 6 months ago,and done nothing in the conventional way!. I bought a training bow from the very start. One of those "everything a beginner needs" jobs. As it turns out it's not too bad a bit of kit . My club has said when I upgrade they may be interested in buying the off me ! So anyways right from the start i was hooked. I have always been looking on line for what I think is a nice bow etc. Right from the start of looking I fancied the Kinetic Halo. Don't know why really ,I just did. So I compiled a list of everything I would need , called about half a dozen retailers ,who all agreed I was looking along the right lines. Sadly none of them had in stock all the parts I required. So again I went against the grain and bought items from individual retailers. Armed with the Internet I have set about putting my new intermediate bow together. The Kinetic riser feels a lot better in my hand than the trainer bow does. It feels a lot more balanced too. SF carbon/foam limbs really do have a fantastic finish . No blemishes that I can see so far ,unlike the riser. It has 2 paint runs on the face of the riser . Not big ,but I noticed them all the same . I suppose it makes it unique!! . Well that's what I am telling myself. No instructions in the box with the riser. I did read this before ,but really come on Kinetic how much would it cost to put something together on how to put it all together ? As I said earlier armed with the Internet I have a brace height of 8 3/4" and a top tiller of 1/8 " greater than the bottom limb. I didn't have to adjust the tiller at all so I was lucky on that front. My custom fast flight string was added . A few gentle pulls just in case ,all looks and feels OK. Rechecked everything again . No movement anywhere so brace height and tiller all good . Rested the bow across the back of two chairs to check the limb alignment with the help of my limb blocks. Got a shock as to how small they were when first unpacked them!! All good here ,so to double check I Rested two arrows across the limbs and they both lined up ,after I was able to bend the old knees low enough to look at the arrows. So have I been lucky so far or is this the norm its new archery equipment? Is a thread lock used to make sure the sight bar clamp stays in place on the riser or is it just checked often? I hope to shoot tomorrow evening after work so wish me luck or PLEASE advise me of anything I have forgotten about .
Happy shooting peeps 😉

Happy shooting peeps 😉
I got kinetic halo black and orange with white n orange limbs synergy air limbs looks well my brace height is 9inch and tiller at 6/12 inch both the same I use them rubber things u put on string to stop ur finger hurting so my arrow is straight wen on the rest. U think my tiller will be OK pall