Actually won something

NeilJM

Yep, on Sunday I won a clout competition shooting recurve after two consecutive 2nd places at previous clout competitions, 1st thing I have ever won, it was a combined open and county clout, so I am also Warwickshire County Gents Recurve Clout Champion to boot.
:D:bouncy:

:poulies:

NeilJM

Was that aiming on the flag? Or something up in the background?
Bit of both, initially for sighters I find the flag, and usually aim left or right from there, dependent on the wind, but usually slightly right if it is calm, but I am a left handed archer so it would be the opposite for RH. Then after sighters I move the sighting point up or down, then correct left or right as needed and find an external point, I usually get a decent end overall but I still need to work on it, it is getting better with more practice.

NeilJM

Cheers.

Shot Recurve. I have seen people use sights shooting clout, but I think it is more hassle than it is worth, using my knuckle is easier.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
You are using your knuckle, and usually to the right of the flag, then moving up or down as required. From that knowledge, the chances are you will normally find a point to aim your knuckle at, that is at some point above and right of the flag.
The advantage of a sight, I found, is that I could choose a very clear point to aim at, before the sighters started. In your case, you might choose a nice clear point to aim your knuckle at.( above and to the right of the flag.)
Then after sighters, you might have to aim lower or higher etc, but perhaps at something not so clear as the first point of aim. With a sight, I could choose a clear point and adjust the sight to continue using that same clear point.
The other thing with a sight is that after sighters, if my arrows were 5m short; I knew how much sight adjustment was needed to move them that far up the field. Getting to the flag in the first scoring end is a big advantage....

NeilJM

You are using your knuckle, and usually to the right of the flag, then moving up or down as required. From that knowledge, the chances are you will normally find a point to aim your knuckle at, that is at some point above and right of the flag.
The advantage of a sight, I found, is that I could choose a very clear point to aim at, before the sighters started. In your case, you might choose a nice clear point to aim your knuckle at.( above and to the right of the flag.)
Then after sighters, you might have to aim lower or higher etc, but perhaps at something not so clear as the first point of aim. With a sight, I could choose a clear point and adjust the sight to continue using that same clear point.
The other thing with a sight is that after sighters, if my arrows were 5m short; I knew how much sight adjustment was needed to move them that far up the field. Getting to the flag in the first scoring end is a big advantage....

Some good points, it might be something to look into next year, but I am not sure how it would work with the way I shoot at the moment.

I shot my first metric clout today, got 315, an MB score amazingly, and (hopefully) 2 county records, finished 2nd, but a good day overall.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Neil, Well done on those scores.
When I started shooting clout, sights were frowned upon as being not really fair.
I can see that point of view and would expect two classifications; one sighted and one without. That never happened for some reason.
My reason for posting on your thread, other than to congratulate you, was simply because I thought you were seeing a sight as a lot of fuss and bother.
My thoughts are that it is one adaptation to your current sight( possibly) and then aiming becomes a more user friendly aspect of the aiming.
I would say that a sight is such an advantage that it is not a fair competition when shooting against those without one.