Adjusting SF Elite Rest

Newalpost

I'm just in the process of trying out an SF Elite Arrow rest. I've been using the Hoyt Super Plastic thingy and it works just fine but I like to try out other things just to gain experience in what works or doesn't and why.

Why the SF Elite rest - well its all the pocket money the wife would let me have this week :)

This question is about the adjustment of the SF Elite. According to the blurb on the web site and on the packet you can adjust this rest both vertically and horizontally. Now the vertical adjustment is pretty obvious but I can't see how you can adjust it horizontally - whatever that means - short of taking some pliers to it.

The supplementary question is what could they mean by horizontal adjustment. This could mean that the arm can be moved further in or out from the riser to allow for the arrow to just sit on the wire without any of it sticking outside the shaft. But it could equally mean allowing the wire to move back or forward, although I can't see what that would achieve unless it was angled upwards.

I have figured out a way to allow for adjusting the wire arm in or out with out cutting or bending. Cutting or bending is permanent and I use different arrow thicknesses. My trick is to place a small shim over the magnet which then pivots the wire arm enough to set it in the correct position. Different arrow, different thickness shim and the magnet is strong enough to still reset the arm

Just wondering if anyone else has this or a similar rest and what they do to allow for variable adjustment in both planes when there's only one screw.

Thxs

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If I have got the right rest in my mind, the screw allows the arm to move up and down when the screw is loosened a little. It is also possible to rotate the wire arm in the collar when the screw is loosened. The magnet pulls the collar to itself so the arm sticks out by the amount you want before tightening. Once set, the shooting of an arrow can push the arm inwards and out of the way for the fletchings to pass by with less interference. Your shims are giving the same effect
I guess

Newalpost

This is the arrow rest and unless my mind is too highly tuned and I'm missing the obvious I can't see anyway to adjust the in/out movement of the arm. It's just one piece of wire that goes through two holes in the collar.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the arrow rest and unless my mind is too highly tuned and I'm missing the obvious I can't see anyway to adjust the in/out movement of the arm. It's just one piece of wire that goes through two holes in the collar.

Attachments

EVC

To adjust it laterally you need pliers. One thing I was told is the arm breaks on the fold. It is advisable to have a spare just in case.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Yes,indeed. My memory is of a different method of holding the arm. The shims or pliers seems to be the options. My mistake, sorry.

Newalpost

To adjust it laterally you need pliers. One thing I was told is the arm breaks on the fold. It is advisable to have a spare just in case.
Yes, this is possible but rather permanent and only suits one size arrow. It seems wrong to me to advertise something as being adjustable but you need to 'bodge it' to make it so.

Anyway I've found that a small piece of tubing over the arm where the magnet is, moves the arm in just the right amount. And I can use different thickness tubing for different arrow sizes.

Bobc

Devils advocate.

Best adjustment. Get a screwdriver..prise the SF rest off. Replace with a Hoyt super thingy.... ;)

Mark31121

Ironman
Devils advocate.

Best adjustment. Get a screwdriver..prise the SF rest off. Replace with a Hoyt super thingy.... ;)
Personally I'd use a plastic knife or something, less likely to scratch the riser. I'm also not a fan of magnetic rests, they tend to snap right in the middle of a competition or tuning session

Newalpost

To be honest I think the plastic Hoyt rest works well but I've never been happy with the idea of the curved hook that goes up the side of the arrow shaft. When all the advice seems to be to have the arrow rest arm not sticking out past the outside edge of the shaft, the Hoyt rest seems at odds with this. Does it make any difference - well that was part of the exercise?

But part of the process of gaining experience is to try other things and I've had the opportunity to try out my modified Elite rest. Does it make any difference? - none that I can tell. But I'll stick with it for now.

Whitehart

To be honest I think the plastic Hoyt rest works well but I've never been happy with the idea of the curved hook that goes up the side of the arrow shaft. When all the advice seems to be to have the arrow rest arm not sticking out past the outside edge of the shaft, the Hoyt rest seems at odds with this. Does it make any difference - well that was part of the exercise?

But part of the process of gaining experience is to try other things and I've had the opportunity to try out my modified Elite rest. Does it make any difference? - none that I can tell. But I'll stick with it for now.
Some cut the hook off Nimes 2016 Hoyt Pro Rest Fitting Tatiana Biltrokova Arrow on rest small.jpg