Carter Adjusting the Carter Only

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I had my lens made and drilled at a local place who does lenses for opticians. Cost about ?20. Now all it needs is pegs of different sizes and colours, according to the situation. If the diameter and magnification is right, you can have it. I am thinking that changing pegs would be easy enough, the Beiter system uses that idea, I think.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Just remembered the lens is flat, no magnification and it's 29mm or 30mm, you might be better with the scope body, too unless the flat lens is no good.

MikeD

Interesting idea Geoff. I'd stick with a ring I think and on a low power lens. I use a Specialty 2x which is less than .5 diopter. I'm not sure if the relationship is linear, if it is 2x would be .25 diopter.

Just thinking about your pegs though. I assume you are planning to make these yourself on a lathe. How big is the hole?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The hole is small perhaps 1-2 mm but it can be any size as the lens maker puts in what I asked for( some time ago now)
The hole is just for fitting the peg. Each peg can have a different sized top or head. So, change pegs when required. If that is going to be frequent ,then a thicker peg in a larger hole, for strength. I just had a single peg as I was experimenting.

MikeD

I shot with the Only last night. It was misty, so no problems with the scope to get in the way. On initial bare boss shooting it seemed a bit harder to get the release to happen than on the Saunders Firing Line, but pretty close. Provided I have the good sense to come down when the release is not happening for any reason, all will be good.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have a little loop of string that I use for practising the release. It is always easier than the real thing. I think that is because there is no target to miss.
I was outside at 80Y last night. I was using the info from Fanio's post about setting up the triggering before the aiming. It seemed the wrong way round to me, but it worked very well.

MikeD

That's why I started without a target at about 3 metres :) The loop of string is basically the same as the Sauders Firing Line, but a lot cheaper. The difference is that there is a draw and holding weight of about 26lb and, with weights, it is close to the weight of my bow. So I can use it to practice the whole shot sequence (with eyes closed).

I think there is a slight difference in the angles between a simulator and the bow, which accounts for the difference in 'hardness'. You can't adjust the tiller of the simulator to have the same feel as the bow.

I'm sure it will be harder still when there is a small target a long way off. Something for this evening...

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
It is always easier than the real thing. I think that is because there is no target to miss.
Hi MikeD, I hope that comment of mine didn't come across as teaching granny.......
It was put in as a starting point to the post. I find that aspect of shooting so interesting yet so damaging for many of us. It has to be important or it would be less common.
Your Firing Line sounds clever.