Advice on Starting with the Warbow.

Hello all.
I'm after advice on how to get into shooting the warbow.
Just returned to longbow archery and am currently shooting a 45# longbow with an indoor target club.
I've heard from many that the best way to shooting heavier is to slowly move up the draw weights.
But the only thing I will say (against?) that is that A) I don't have an endless supply of money to keep changing bows and B)Although many shoot modern bows with a higher poundage at my club,I find that my 45# is more than adequate for indoor target shooting at 20 yards.
I have read over various sites that many archers started with a 70# bow to get into the warbow style of shooting (after doing target style at say 45 or 50#) and the jump in weight isn't as bad as it sounds as the medieval style of draw is different.
Any advice much appreciated!

Riceburner

Hello all.
I'm after advice on how to get into shooting the warbow.
Just returned to longbow archery and am currently shooting a 45# longbow with an indoor target club.
I've heard from many that the best way to shooting heavier is to slowly move up the draw weights.
But the only thing I will say (against?) that is that A) I don't have an endless supply of money to keep changing bows and B)Although many shoot modern bows with a higher poundage at my club,I find that my 45# is more than adequate for indoor target shooting at 20 yards.
I have read over various sites that many archers started with a 70# bow to get into the warbow style of shooting (after doing target style at say 45 or 50#) and the jump in weight isn't as bad as it sounds as the medieval style of draw is different.
Any advice much appreciated!
I can't really advise, as I've not done it - but I'm interested in the thread as I had plans to do the same (work up to Warbow poundages).

I started with a 32lb take-down (think Samick Polaris, but much older), used a 50lb flatbow fora while, then switched to a 60lb horsebow (Samick Mind50) - it's 60Lb at 30" (my draw length normally is around 28" so I'm actually drawing around 55lb in normal usage).
(I've since dropped to a 45lb horsebow as I've not shot much in the last 2 years and need to re-start)

The little Horsebows you can buy from Korea aren't 'that' expensive, are pretty accurate, and also help to practise shooting off the hand. A possible alternative to expensive longbows at least as a stepping stone?

D

Deleted member 7654

First, use any bow that will allow you to get to your full medieval anchor, which maybe behind the ear, behind/below/under the jaw, behind your collar bone or on your pap (breast). It will seem bonkers at first and you will struggle to hit a boss at 10 yards, but you will soon find you are hitting where you aim.
Second, how to get to that anchor point... DO NOT use a T draw, it doesn't work with high draw weights and long draws.
Then work up in weights... A high draw weight doesn't seem as heavy as you might think as say 45# @28" will feel the same as about 50# @ 32" up to the 28" mark. The last 3 or 4" (I'd venture to say that 31" is more typical than 32")are achieved relatively easily as the elbow comes down from forehead level in a long sweeping arc of about 10"... this gives about 3:1 leverage a bit like one of those over centre latches.
I did a vid showing the difference and there are others (a good one of John Turton demonstrating). Getting your weight on your front foot helps, also inflating the chest can get those extra few inches.
I'd suggest maybe 60-70# @32" is a manageable start point.
10 slow push ups night and morning will help.
I have pulled 100# @ 32" but 80-90 is my limit these days:-
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

Just found my mate JT's video:-
There are other good exercises for shoulders:-
Link your fingers behind your head and imagine you are holding a tennis ball between your hands and the back of your head... now roll the imaginary ball around your head back and forth in each direction. (if you send me a fiver, I'll send you an approved imaginary tennis ball ;) ).
Another one is leaning back into an open doorway with your elbows out at shoulder level (make sure you have grippy footware), shuffle your feet forward so you are leaning back a bit and the weight is on your elbows. then force yourself back and forth using your back muscles, to pull your elbows back.
I trained up from being able to pull 70# @28 to drawing 100# @ 32" when I was 60, 'cos I thought if I didn't do it then I never would. I also managed my first shot over 300yards! :)
Del

Last edited by a moderator:

Fiver in the post Del ;)
I actually found your video the other day on the tube,but you've got it spot on as well as John.
If it means anything,I'm 6ft 2 and 175 pounds (beanpole in other words!) with fairly long arms,so it would be good to see a bowyer in the flesh one day to see what my draw length would be for a medieval draw,I'm not presuming just because I'm lanky with long arms that I'll be able to reach 32 just like that! (As Tommy Cooper might say).
It's transfering that heavy load onto the back and shoulders too from what I've read?
Like I said in my original post,It's not really doable money wise for me to get a new bow at 50,55,60,65 etc and especially if it was one just tillered to 28" as I feel my 45 # is more than enough for indoor shooting at 20 yards.
I'd possibly entertain an upgrade to a 55# at 28 Longbow but I'd get to a point where I'd be looking at something manageable that was tillered for a heavy bow draw!
60-70 sounds doable to me,I wouldn't think of going further at the start of the journey,and moneywise I'd be happy for a laminate or an affordable meane wood,as I'm guessing yew is gonna be a tug on the wallet!

I'm very happy shooting target at the moment,and will continue to do so,but being a reenactor,it is my goal to shoot heavy bows.
AFAIK,there is no where near me that does it so it might mean travelling further a field,but I'm determined to do it and take as much time as is needed.

D

Deleted member 7654

Hastings East Sussex
Ta, not a million miles from me (Harlow, just N of London). There are a few roves and the like around Kent I believe but due to covid, it's a bit quiet.
Back on topic, you can buy or make up exercise bands for building up strength. Old bike inner tubes, bungee etc lashed to a chunk of 2x2 with the edges rounded off...
Del

I know it well.

I've been keeping an eye on the east kent warbow page on facebook to see when it resumes,it's about the nearest there is to me (roughly 65 miles away),but always living in hope there is something literally on the doorstep.
As you know,a lot of clubs,even longbow ones,go into panic mode when you mention wanting to shoot heavy warbows ;)
Thats a good idea re the bands.
I actually bought an excercise band of 45/50 pounds the same time as my bow to practice with at home,I'm wondering whether to get a 20/25 one then tape them together to get roughly around 70 and practice?

D

Deleted member 7654

If the covid thing calms down and you are ever going to be north of the M25, message me first to chat... I may have an old 32" draw bow that is surplus to requirement that you could have for a few bottles of wine. (It's about 60# @28" I think, Hickory backed Yew a bit tired, but still better than the average laminate! :) )
Del