AGB Advice for returning to shooting 13/5/20

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have just been thinking about handing out club faces to archers before they shoot. AGB mention archers buying their own, which should be safe.
Handing out faces is not that simple. Gloves don't help.
Archers picking up the top one from a pile is likely to lead to fingers getting onto the one directly below.
Could be "Wash your hands first before removing the top face".
If that face could have been infected already, it will need to be cleaned before being picked up.
Or perhaps spread them all out and clean them all before anyone collects one.
If it is important to take faces away at the end; then it is also important to get a clean one at the start.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
... Gloves don't help.
If you put on a pair of disposable gloves correctly, hand out the faces, take off gloves and throw away, wash your hands, I'm not sure I see the problem, unless you use latex gloves and pass a target face to someone who is allergic to latex.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Cheers KidCurry, I was only seeing this with the archer wearing gloves.
So, the person handing out faces has gloves on,yes? They put them on correctly..... I assume that is after washing their own hands.
Otherwise they contaminate the gloves as they put them on,yes?
Might that person, using the same routine, lay out the faces somewhere obvious, ready for collection by archers as they arrive?
The problem I see,real or imagined, is the "hander outer" touching his/her face before finishing the hand over session. Also, handing over directly is really much less than 2m apart.
On a similar topic, could pins be disinfected and left for collection, in a way that no one handles more than the four they will use; such as on top of each target face.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Cheers KidCurry, I was only seeing this with the archer wearing gloves.
So, the person handing out faces has gloves on,yes? They put them on correctly..... I assume that is after washing their own hands.
It seems reasonable.

Might that person, using the same routine, lay out the faces somewhere obvious, ready for collection by archers as they arrive?
I don't see why they should not be near the boss to be used.
The problem I see,real or imagined, is the "hander outer" touching his/her face before finishing the hand over session. Also, handing over directly is really much less than 2m apart.
I wouldn't hand over directly. Put them on the ground and let archers pick them up. I wear latex gloves to the supermarket. One thing it reminds me is not to touch my face.
On a similar topic, could pins be disinfected and left for collection, in a way that no one handles more than the four they will use; such as on top of each target face.
I don't see why not. I'm sure others here will already be addressing these problems :)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Cheers for your responses.
I have seen a fair few posts in different places about returning to shooting. Most of them have dealt with the distancing aspect and timetabling.
I suppose those are the most "visible" ones.
The inadvertent contacts, to me, seem to be the most likely to be forgotten; or should I say the tendency to touch our own faces/heads with our hands is likely to happen and at a time when we are unsure of the state they are in.
I could very easily be wrong, but I am thinking that contamination is more likely to happen through picking up the virus from a surface, rather than airborne by getting too close to an infected person. It seems easier to me to stay away from other people; I forget the contact side more frequently.

Stretch

Just remember if deploying a solution that requires the use of disposable gloves then you also need to train people how to correctly/safely. It’s not difficult but nobody (outside of medical professionals) does it.

Stretch

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi KidCurry. What a great resource! Cheers for that.
Is there an easy way I can copy this and send to our club secretary for distribution... or would that be illegal?

Corax67

We’ve run into a bigger issue - target pins !

The risk assessment handed down by AGB states only JVD or Beiter pinch pins are to be used - we as a club have never used those pins and of course our equipment manager has today failed to find a supplier with any in stock.

Typical 🙄

Karl

Corax67

Just remember if deploying a solution that requires the use of disposable gloves then you also need to train people how to correctly/safely. It’s not difficult but nobody (outside of medical professionals) does it.

Stretch
Not strictly true - we adhere to this method since certain operations within our manufacturing require the handling of substances in their concentrated form that are extreme skin irritants so gloves are removed very carefully indeed as are the full face respirators we utilise in those areas.

I am certain aren’t alone in this.

Karl

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I would rather work on the principle that no one knows and let them see how; rather than assume they know and miss someone.

Mark2

AIUK Saviour
I think the major issue on an outdoor field is separation of archers. For that I take my hat off to field archery clubs for outstanding foresight.
Create good separation outdoors and follow good personal hygiene and the other risks are substantially smaller than shopping in a supermarket.
No matter how thorough safe practices are implemented on a field, you cannot design for all eventualities. I would be less concerned about who put the bosses out and whether they wore gloves, and more worried about the family of four standing upwind of me, or how many people have picked up that bottle of milk in tesco's before you did, or the person insisting on paying with cash because it is their legal right.
Archery range issues pale into insignificance compared to going back to work in an open plan office of 50 people.

Buying a few target faces - no poblem
Buying a few decent target pins - Great - better than those stupid white things we've used for years.

But I think if you have to go to some of the extremes that are being suggested just to make it "more safe" to shoot, and I mean more safe, not safe, then the sport is going back to club shooting too soon.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Hi KidCurry. What a great resource! Cheers for that.
Is there an easy way I can copy this and send to our club secretary for distribution... or would that be illegal?
This is a free YouTube video so you only need to supply the YouTube URL below. Note remove the gap between 'http' and 's' for the link to work
http s://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=kesQF_G3pQ8&feature=emb_logo

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Mark2 I like your post; it does put things in perspective. I appreciate that some people are almost "forced" to take greater risks by the nature of their work.
Perhaps some of my Over reaction can be put down to my age and my wife's vulnerability. Or perhaps my one track mind??
On the other hand I have just returned from a garden centre with plenty of space to move around and trolleys being cleaned as soon as they are returned. I think most of the safety processes are not so difficult to implement; it just takes a bit of time working out a way that makes them more likely to be effective.
The thing I keep coming back to is that one person doing a little to help may seem insignificant in the light of what we read of hear on the news. But there are millions of these single people making a small difference.
They add up.

Stretch

Not strictly true - we adhere to this method since certain operations within our manufacturing require the handling of substances in their concentrated form that are extreme skin irritants so gloves are removed very carefully indeed as are the full face respirators we utilise in those areas.
Apolgies, I should have said people required to use PPE through their occupation. I was being lazy. (My organisation is the same, otherwise I wouldn’t know).

These folks also have some good resources, posters etc.

How to Safely Remove Disposable Gloves | Globus

There is also WHO guidance and a google image search will turn up lots of “how to put them on” posters too. Most of which are free to use.

Stretch the Lazy One

Corax67

Apolgies, I should have said people required to use PPE through their occupation. I was being lazy. (My organisation is the same, otherwise I wouldn’t know).
Not at all - just my scarily anal H&S head tripping my pedant mode 😁😁

Karl

ben tarrow

Most of our club kit is locked up in the local school at the moment so that's going to be a challenge too.
A lot of our kit was locked up in the school too. I rang the caretaker (guardian or whatever they're called these days) and they arranged access for me. Nice people

ben tarrow

The risk assessment handed down by AGB states only JVD or Beiter pinch pins are to be used - we as a club have never used those pins and of course our equipment manager has today failed to find a supplier with any in stock.

Typical 🙄

Karl
Thats only an example risk assessment. You're supposed to write your own. Whoever wrote that obviously has shares in JVD. Whatever sort of pins you use or can get, write that into your risk assessment

ben tarrow

I have just been thinking about handing out club faces to archers before they shoot. AGB mention archers buying their own, which should be safe.
Handing out faces is not that simple. Gloves don't help.
Archers picking up the top one from a pile is likely to lead to fingers getting onto the one directly below.
Could be "Wash your hands first before removing the top face".
If that face could have been infected already, it will need to be cleaned before being picked up.
Or perhaps spread them all out and clean them all before anyone collects one.
If it is important to take faces away at the end; then it is also important to get a clean one at the start.
I had new target faces delivered to me. I've been completely isolated for months due to an underlying medical condition.
With my hands washed before and after, I've batched a roll of 50 target faces into individual rolls. My members will come to my house and collect THEIR target face from my driveway where I will have left it just before they arrive.
Pretty good social distancing and good sanitation and clean faces to start with!
What about the man in the shop who packed them? Better if in large rolls, then you split them into individuals I think
Leave the roll in the shed for a few days to give the virus time to die

Whitehart

Typical 🙄

Karl
Most dealers carry Beiter and/or Danage and there are also AGF. Perhaps the real issue is cost Beiter/Danage and AGF are far far more expensive than JVD which are in short supply.