AGB tight fisted with Badges?

Bertybobby

I know that AGB will not allow you to down claim badges, so if you shoot a 1100 York you cannot then use further scores to get the badges below that mark. Same principle with FITA awards.

Is this just due to cost control and not wanting to hand out badges?

I read on Archery Ireland website that you can purchase any "missing" badges below which you have a record status score for.

Has it always been this way with AGB and could they be persuaded to allow the purchase of badges you have a score for? They might even be able to make a profit on it!

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
It's the same with tassel awards. My first tassel award was a black one, if I want the white one I have to shoot a different bow type.

T

the-poet

And yet if you claim a target mb or gmb badge you can't then claim another with a different bow style.
Not even in a different year.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Probably because it's seen as an achievement award, not something to collect.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I don't think it can be, firstly because I'm sure I know people who've achieved that level in more than one discipline, and 2) in the SAPS it says

Notify the claimant and send him the appropriate badge, provided that an identical badge has not previously been issued to that archer for the same archery discipline and bowstyle.
which they wouldn't have to do if once you got an MB badge that was it.

Though actually...
provided that an identical badge has not previously been issued
my MB badges (field/target) don't specify bowstyle, so it may be a case that because they use the same badge for MB for all bowstyles that once you have one you can't achieve a different one, because there isn't one!

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
the old style target MB and the new style field MB badges... nothing to specify that they are shot with a compound, as opposed to a recurve, longbow, etc...

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Thanks for that, are the badges not different shapes for recurve and compound?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah well, one way to find out I suppose...
I think they're different shapes depending on if they are awarded for Field, Target or Flight, at least looking at the news story from back then GNAS Website

T

the-poet

I've made mb with compound, recurve and barebow and despite being originally told i could claim and receiving confirmation my badges were on the way i then received an email stating only one badge per target, field or clout.

I tried to claim two in one year and one separately and both were denied.

Don't even get me started on the farce that is national records but we can say that they are not always the highest score shot at rs tournaments.

ieuan_johns

It's because you aren't really supposed to be displaying all your badges, just the best or most current one (depending on the award).

hodge

I just thought they were stingy as I claimed a 500 score 720 badge in June last year and then followed it up early this year with them replying to me and still not having received anything.

Bertybobby

I just thought they were stingy as I claimed a 500 score 720 badge in June last year and then followed it up early this year with them replying to me and still not having received anything.
To be fair I've found them pretty good. Generally got my award about 4 weeks after the claim. Never had one not turn up yet. Give them another prod.

Bertybobby

It comes from them being class/rank badges. You don't see an army general with a long list of rank badges up his arm do you?
OK, so nothing official then - just your personal view?

To some extent you do... In the NCO ranks you start with one stripe for Lance Jack, then two for full Corporal, then 3 for Seargent, then add a crown for Staff Seargent... For officers you start at one pip for Second Lieutenant, then two pips for Lieutenant, three pips for Captain.

And the Royal Navy pretty much go from the bottom to the top with their insignia:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Navy_officer_rank_insignia

Raven's_Eye

Ironman

To some extent you do... In the NCO ranks you start with one stripe for Lance Jack, then two for full Corporal, then 3 for Seargent, then add a crown for Staff Seargent... For officers you start at one pip for Second Lieutenant, then two pips for Lieutenant, three pips for Captain.

And the Royal Navy pretty much go from the bottom to the top with their insignia:-

Plus you don't have to keep re-earning your rank each year.

Bertybobby

Plus you don't have to keep re-earning your rank each year.
Which is a fair point for classifications, but I'm more thinking target awards which you never "lose"...

All seems like personal preference to me what you put on your quiver, so long as you are not putting something on you are not entitled to.

ieuan_johns

That is not the same thing, those are single insignias, the number of lines they have is part of one thing, wearing all badges would be like having a line of these up your arm.

And of course it's personal preference if you want to display them all, but that isnt the intention, which is why they dont hand them out.