alcohol burner for fitting points

Martin Heelis

Ironman
Has anyone used an alcohol burner for melting hot melt and warming points for installation? If so, did it produce good results? Thinking of buying one as using the kitchen hob is a bit wasteful as 90% of the burned gas isn't heating anything other than air.

carl7

Has anyone used an alcohol burner for melting hot melt and warming points for installation? If so, did it produce good results? Thinking of buying one as using the kitchen hob is a bit wasteful as 90% of the burned gas isn't heating anything other than air.
An alcohol lamp alcohol.jpg / burner is all I use for hot melt. It's the smallish ones you typically find, about 3-3-1/2" inches round. Be sure to use denatured alcohol. Rubbing alcohol has too much water content.

One comment: they have an adjustable wick type but the one I bought was pure junk, poorly made and barely raises the wick. Just get the simple, pull up by hand wick type.

Carl

john heff

AIUK Saviour
That's what I use. It produces enough heat to melt the glue-stick but not over-heat the carbon shaft. - John

Bald Eagle

You can buy a small blowlamp on ebay that uses lighter fuel for around a tenner. I carry one in my toolbox.

I use my ocy/acct torch bit of an over kill I know but I've got it , if I was using the gas hob I'd be making a bacon butty at the same time !

caspian

everyone I know uses something similar to this. UL100 - Basic Pencil Flame Torch Kit

my 1L cannister has lasted nearly 4 years now, and the whole thing cost $32 from memory. you only need about 3/4" of flame to provide very adequate heating. unlike the small torches the gas doesn't leak out if you look the other way.

for replacing something like a single pin or reseating a single point I just use the cooktop though - it uses a fraction of a cent of gas and I don't have to wait for the torch to cool down to put it away...

Hawkmoon

Need a hellish long mains lead at a shoot......

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

I always get 12 or 18 shafts at a time and I am a good boy and do my arrow maintenance regularly so I have never needed to refit a point at a shoot as I always have plenty of spares.

Hudzi93

I have some bamboo arrows with insert points glued in with araldite precision. I want to shorten the arrows to stiffen them up but I can't take the points out.

I didn't want to start an entirely new thread and this one seemed somewhat relevant. Any suggestions? I tried heating the points but it didn't seem to work.

caspian

inserts in bamboo? I have not seen that, only typical taper glued points.

most epoxies will give way to heat eventually as they are fundamentally a plastic, but whether they do so before the shaft is ruined is another matter. if reasonable heat from a small torch doesn't soften the glue enough then you may be down to cutting the shaft off behind the insert or point and hoping it leaves enough length.

Tuck

I have some bamboo arrows with insert points glued in with araldite precision. I want to shorten the arrows to stiffen them up but I can't take the points out.

I didn't want to start an entirely new thread and this one seemed somewhat relevant. Any suggestions? I tried heating the points but it didn't seem to work.
Looks like shortening from the rear and a refletch is required?

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.