ALDI Spotting Scope - this Sunday!!

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
if you want one get there good and early - we failed last year in two different ALDI stores - all the twitchers had been queuing up before opening time according to staff !

slainte :cheerful: rob
Like I said last year the trick is to get there just before they close on Saturday night, all the stock will have been laid out for 10 o'clock on the Sunday. If you take one to the counter they will sell you one, and you can have a lie-in on Sunday.

babylon5

Top Meerkat!
Supporter
Ironman
Like I said last year the trick is to get there just before they close on Saturday night, all the stock will have been laid out for 10 o'clock on the Sunday. If you take one to the counter they will sell you one, and you can have a lie-in on Sunday.
Hmmm, tried that, no luck. The space was there, the price tag was hanging above the space, but no scopes. When I asked, I was told "They'll be on sale tomorrow". :(

So it's going to be a trip to Aldi tomorrow morning sharpish I reckon....and no long lie!

Mike

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Hehe...I thought this was yesterday and wondered why Graham wasn't out doing my shopping for me :laughing: Then he reminded me it's TODAY that they're on sale :blush: hehe

Should be interesting to see if he gets one or not. I doubt there are a lot of twitchers in Feltham, but the peeping Tom's might get there first! :rotfl:

babylon5

Top Meerkat!
Supporter
Ironman
Got one!

....but only just. Couldn't believe how many people turned up to buy them....some were buying three or four at a time.

Tried it out and it's pretty good, certainly seems like it'll be fine for shooting outdoors. :)

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Graham managed to get me one this morning. He said the place was crawling with chaps in raincoats with shifty eyes, so my guess was right.

Will be interesting to compare it another sight I have (which I'm a bit precious about).

Random_guy

Yet another advantage to living in London, no bird watchers, no rush on aldi! Now i just need a good tripod......

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I managed to get two after a dissapointing start. My nearest Aldi had them at the tills (under the counter) so after wandering unfruitfully round the store and then hollering into the storage area I got told this and joined the very long queue of old men in bunnetts with large bags of bird seed and the couple in front of me at the checkout got the last scope. It was great to hear the assistant tell them they were very lucky as it was the last one and it was only 20 minutes after opening!!

Hey Ho into the car and off 10 miles to the next wee toon fingers crossed. I should say it was a gorgeous morning and made the journey on the nearly empty A1 in East Lothian quite a joy. My next port of call had at least half a dozen left and they were out on display so I bought two, and got told a couple had gone first thing. I thought that part of Scotland was a favourite for bird watchers, but I guess they'd want a really serious scope.

My other half tells me one of the reasons they're so inexpensive is they haven't got gas in them so they will let the rain in. So keep them protected folks! :cool:

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
For what it is, it seems good quality. It comes with a tabletop tripod and a very nice carry case. It may not be waterproof but for ?25, if it lasts two seasons, it'll have more than paid for itself.

PaulT

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Got mine, an improvement over my previous scope, and you can't go wrong for that price!

Was lucky enough that my local Aldi had plenty left at 3 pm after today's Frostbite (warm sunny frostbite that is!)

King Custard

Got one! ..not filled with gas huh? doh!

Well I can see that the birds on the church spire are crows- but i have no idea what that tatoo is on that girls hip...the one who lives in the towerblock 3/4 mile away.
Hang on - she's coming back...time to compare scopes! :innocent:

babylon5

Top Meerkat!
Supporter
Ironman
Got one! ..not filled with gas huh? doh!
At ?25 I can live with that. :)

Well I can see that the birds on the church spire are crows- but i have no idea what that tatoo is on that girls hip...the one who lives in the towerblock 3/4 mile away.
Hang on - she's coming back...time to compare scopes! :innocent:
If she's coming back, how are you planning to see her hip (she'd presumably be walking towards you!)?

Or are you now looking at a different tattoo on her.... ;)

GreenSteve

They do work perfectly well in the wet, mine got blown over and the casing came apart but popped back together Np i put some electrical tape round it to be sure and although it does get damp inside in wet weather if you keep the lens clear it still works and then at the end of the day take it all apart and leave it over night to dry out and its fine again :cheerful:

Hidden Hippo

Had my parents pick one up for me this morning. Should be fine in the rain if I just get a small sheet of drysuit material and some rubber seals to make a waterproof cover for it in the rain.

Meddler

Got mine in the Livingston ALDI at approx 13:30 today - they had loads left.

It doesn't work too well in the dark. But at ?25 can you go wrong?

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
My lovely wife went out and got me one whilst I was having fun at the club this morning. That must be love :D

Kae

The American
American Shoot
After missing out last year I got one this morning.

Popped in just before 10am indoor shooting.

Good stuff, works nicely.

Kae.

sambow

True to form, one year on from their last offer (I didn't know if it was true or not, but it appears that their stock is on an annual cycle as I bought mine this time last year), ALDI are doing their ?24.99 spotting scope again.

More detail here It's a 20-60 zoom with a 60mm objective lens, rubberized body, and shower-proof

I've now had mine for a year, and for ?25 I'd highly recommend it - you cant get a better deal. Heck, buy 2!
Just bought one of these and even managed to beat the twitchers to it. Quality is very commendable for the money! Bit dark at 60X but then its to be expected, but much brighter at 20X than my current 20X50 scope.