Alternative to binding arrows...

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
After cutting self knocks on woodies, rather than binding the rear end with thread....would plastic shrink tubing work???
Granted it wouldn't have the "trad" look to it, but it would be VERY quick and easy to do....

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I've not yet cut self nock arrows, but from what I've read in the bowyers bible is that due the poundage of modern arrows you don't really need the re-enforcement of the string. I can't see why the plastic won't work, though will it be heavier than thread? Also will rain effect it, or will it move when the arrow is pushed along the ground if you miss?

lbp121

I very much doubt that heat shrink would give the same tension and therefore support to the grain that binding would. Even after shrinking there is some elasticity and this could allow the impact from the string to spread the grain which is what splits the nock.

bobnewboy

Dunno about other societies and classes, but that would not be allowed in the Primitive class for NFAS - no plastic allowed. I have made a lot of self nock arrows for various bows, and these days I always wrap the nock end with button thread and then impregnate it with HMG glue. As a matrix this is very, very strong and I have not had a single break even when using these shafts in a very fast osage 55lb recurve. I have also seen other non-reinforced self nock arrows split on release, in both bamboo and pine shafts, with bows down to 38lb draw weight. IMO, for something which takes approx 1 minute to do per shaft, its not worth risking a bow with a possible 'dry' release.