Any use for fallow deer antlers?

Zhoo Zhoo

Hubby came home with two fallow deer antlers today as a present for me - how romantic is that? :boggled: Ha ha! So I was wondering if they are any good for anything such as fashioning nocks or in place of horn for self nock reinforcements?

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I'm not sure but I was told that deer antlers are rather brittle and aren't as good for nocks.

there are other uses though, bow stands, knife handles, whistles.

Mark31121

Ironman
I'm not sure about archery uses (apart from the decorative aspect) but they make great dog chews - high in calcium but kinder on the teeth than bones :)

Zhoo Zhoo

I was thinking about making a bowstand, so that's probably going to be the best option then, as I don't have a dog! Thanks guys. ☺

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
A friend of mine gave me a short length of a reindeer antler. It was tough as hell to cut. I cut it with a junior hacksaw length-ways into thin slivers and glued (Araldite 24hr) a piece into the self nocks on my wooden arrows. Across the line of the bow string of course.

WillS

Antler makes excellent bow nocks. Make sure you get rid of the porous center part, but it's far better than buffalo horn, and almost as good as cow horn for bow nocks.

bobbyger74

Ive seen them used for arrow rake handles. just drill a hole in the bottom and glue a length of bent metal rod in the hole.

D

Deleted member 7654

Yeah, antler is a bit hard, but it will make a nice arrow rake, knife handle or such like
Del

bobbyger74

Just made this arrow rake today. Makes a good use of deer antler I think.
Just used a long narrow paint roller and removed the handle. I then drilled a hole in the antler and glued the metal rod in place using epoxy resin.

- - - Updated - - -

Just made this arrow rake today. Makes a good use of deer antler I think.
Just used a long narrow paint roller and removed the handle. I then drilled a hole in the antler and glued the metal rod in place using epoxy resin.

Attachments