Anybody use a back quiver?

Vikingwarrior

I'm thinking of getting a back quiver to use with my longbow after years of using a side quiver. My question is for those of you who use a back quiver, do you find it any easier to use and what sort of disadvantages would it have?

Thanks

Bald Eagle

Although I've made loads of them for the field archers, I don't have one myself! Some that I've seen hold 40 or 50 arrows and some hold a dozen! I've seen the arrows catch on trees and get pulled out and even fall out if they lean too far over. Also, a lot of archers have difficulty reaching for the arrows if the quiver is not fitted properly. I think a holster quiver or forward facing quiver is more practical!

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
and it's always funny watching someone trying to put arrows into a back quiver, missing and spilling all their arrows over the floor!!

Bald Eagle

I made one of those, good idea, found it easier to pull the arrows out and put them back in, also it slings across your shoulder and settles on your waist! Did you stiffen/brace yours or do you rely on the arrows to stop it folding?

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I use a back quiver always have. I haven't been field shooting so I can't tell you what if any advantages over a side quiver. Personally I like the feel of it, its out of the way so when at events and walking around you're not going to have your arrows sticking out and hitting people, I've seen people with side quivers positioned that whenever they walk the quiver spins and the arrowscan hit anyone close.
If on a crowded shooting line it can be easier getting your arrows out without hitting people, and they do have an advantage when speed shooting.
It'll take a bit of practice but after a while you should be able to draw your arrow holding the knock and put it on the string without looking in one smooth movement. You can;t really do that with side quivers as you have to pull out the arrow away from you and depending on where you've grabbed the arrow you might need to canter your bow to put the arrow on.
Like others have said you can't bend over too much otherwise arrows may fall out, but teaches you to bend at the knees, which is better for you're back anyway. Also yes you might drop some missing your quiver, but again bit of practice and you can put them in without even looking.
From the longbow shoots I've been on, back quivers are not as popular as other designs, probably 3-4 out of 60 archers, though they often have very nice leather work done on them.

Vikingwarrior

Thanks Ravens Eye, some very helpful advice there. I think I'll still go ahead and get one, I see Merlin are doing a fairly inexpensive one so I'll maybe start with that and build up practice with it!

Riceburner

I made one of those, good idea, found it easier to pull the arrows out and put them back in, also it slings across your shoulder and settles on your waist! Did you stiffen/brace yours or do you rely on the arrows to stop it folding?
Mine's made from a plastic arrow tube with a hole cut in the side, so it's nice as stiff naturally.

I'll admit I wanted something I could also use to transport the arrows on a motorcycle, the arrow tube works perfectly. I put packing foam at either end and tweak the length of the tube so that the arrows are lightly gripped by the foam - stops them rattling around when on the bike. For weather proofing I have a length of plastic tubing that slides over the hole.

Bald Eagle

You've got my brain cells working now on a mark 2 version, in leather, with a double tube twisting section, both with oval slots that line up when used as a quiver and close with a twist when used for transportation!! Hmmmm!!!

Riceburner

You've got my brain cells working now on a mark 2 version, in leather, with a double tube twisting section, both with oval slots that line up when used as a quiver and close with a twist when used for transportation!! Hmmmm!!!
Easier just to have an inner tube that slides up and down (you can have a small knob to make it easy to push up and down.)

Thinking about something similar for my mk2 as well.

The only issue with the tube is that there's no extra pockets (for pens/spare fletches/scorecards etc). I currently use a Grab-it Gear belt to keep all my field archery stuff together (so I'm not moving things about in trouser pockets etc), but I'm currently trying to figure out a method of combining the quiver/tube with the "utility" belt so all the weight is hanging from my left shoulder, and everything is out of the way whilst moving or shooting.

Bald Eagle

Putting a pocket or two on it is no problem, only that they can only be as wide as the tube the quiver is made from, or else it will look odd! A knife sheath too, but that could be incorporated in the shoulder strap.

Riceburner

Putting a pocket or two on it is no problem, only that they can only be as wide as the tube the quiver is made from, or else it will look odd! A knife sheath too, but that could be incorporated in the shoulder strap.
well... yes - but I'd rather not get pulled up by the cops on the M25 whilst wearing a hunting knife in an easily accessible sheath on the quiver strap!! ;)

Vikingwarrior

Do you have any pictures of it?

ghound

I was thinking about a back quiver to use on the shooting line at indoor comps. I'm 6ft2 with my shoes on, decent size beer belly, and use full length arrows, so this combination irritates fellow competitors who have to duck when i swing my bow and arrows about. Would a back quiver be the idea, is there anything small for sale that is suitable, probably only to carry 3 or 4 arrows?