Archery in the 2022 Commonwealth Games?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
https://www.change.org/p/hrh-prince...campaign=direct_to_combo&utm_term=autopublish

A petition to show your support for Archery as a Core Sport in the Commonwealth Games.
Has any petition on change.org ever actually achieved anything?? I suspect as a percentage it would be incredibly small...

Keep in mind that there are only ten core sports at he CG, and that they are limited to 17 sports at each event, and that much bigger sports such as cycling or gymnastics are also only 'optional' sports. So just to get archery included at an event (let alone as a core sport), you're going to have to displace an optional sport such as shooting (1966, 1974?present) or wrestling (1911?1986, 1994, 2002, 2010?present) which have a much longer Commonwealth Games history than archery. And as long as they pull in the crowds, they're not going to just drop them in favour of another that has only appeared twice, and is only really participated by a very small group of Commonwealth members...

Whitehart

If we cannot be bothered to back our own sport why should anyone else......

We might not become a core sport I agree, but a high level interest from around the globe (this petition is not just being promoted in the UK) may persuade Birmingham to include us - a poor response will be just as counter productive.

This is an invitation for all archers to back archery, not just Olympic & Compound Target Archery as raises the profile and helps to feed new archers into other disciplines.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
what would persuade an inclusion would be the same thing that meant it got into India, the belief of a high percentage chance of winning home gold medals. And larger representation by more countries than the Home Nations/India/Canada/Australia/South Africa would probably help as well...

as for change.org, it's a FOR profit company... I'll let you guess how they make a profit when all they do is collect names and addresses...

Whitehart

I've given up worrying about my details being sold on it happens with almost every list (Except ours :) ) even with charities and Government - my spam blocker seems sufficient.

Perhaps if the governing bodies had done something and made it a priority to help reduce membership churn rather than delighting in a net balance of gained and lost over the last 20 years we would probably have in excess of 200,000 plus members that would be a better example rather than a paltry 30-40k I am sure that's the number Birmingham will look at.