Archery in the 2022 Commonwealth Games?

Mistake

Ironman
So with Birmingham being awarded the 2022 games, will Archery GB be trying to get Archery into the games? I know that some posters here are more involved with Archery GB politics than I am - which I actively avoid at any and all costs.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
So with Birmingham being awarded the 2022 games, will Archery GB be trying to get Archery into the games? I know that some posters here are more involved with Archery GB politics than I am - which I actively avoid at any and all costs.
Birmingham is currently hosting three years of the National Series Finals - the first one was held in September. So fingers crossed. The council is at least aware of archery as an event and how it can be staged. There are a whole series of litmus tests for the non cores sports to pass to get included in any games, so all the NGBs for those sports will be campaining for inclusion.

I think in the past though there has been a feeling archery was being overlooked due to lack of knowledge about it as a sport, but with the gold medals England won in India 2010 and the sell out audiences in London 2012 it has gained a higher profile sp it does stand a very good chance.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
Birmingham is currently hosting three years of the National Series Finals - the first one was held in September. So fingers crossed. The council is at least aware of archery as an event and how it can be staged. There are a whole series of litmus tests for the non cores sports to pass to get included in any games, so all the NGBs for those sports will be campaining for inclusion.

I think in the past though there has been a feeling archery was being overlooked due to lack of knowledge about it as a sport, but with the gold medals England won in India 2010 and the sell out audiences in London 2012 it has gained a higher profile so it does stand a very good chance.

Whitehart

Seems odd that you can win a bit to host a games costing as much as 2012 and 7 sports have not been decided on.

If you want archery to be included and seen as a spectator sport then more people need to turn up to the National Series Finals I was only there on the Sunday so cannot comment on the Saturday, but the attendance was not great.

Whitehart

Seems odd that you can win a bit to host a games costing as much as 2012 and 7 sports have not been decided on.

If you want archery to be included and seen as a spectator sport then more people need to turn up to the National Series Finals I was only there on the Sunday so cannot comment on the Saturday, but the attendance was not great.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour

keep in mind that it has been awarded at very short notice after Durban had the rights to the 2022 games stripped from them (having been awarded them back in 2015).

it should be noted that as of yet, none of the named sporting venues in Birmingham are suitable for archery... then again, Lilleshall is just up the road (there is talk of the netball being at the Rioch Centre in Coventry, Bowls at Leamington & cycling in London)

mk1

It's an X
Supporter

It was too far from the city centre but they had intended staging it in Centenary Square (I think) but refurbishment was still on going.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter

It was too far from the city centre but they had intended staging it in Centenary Square (I think) but refurbishment was still on going.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
I did ask, at the last moment someone had a panic that it wouldn't be safe for emergency vehicles to access down the back of the range to some of the buildings (because obviously, you wouldn't stop the shooting if the building next door was on fire)...

Mistake

Ironman
I did ask, at the last moment someone had a panic that it wouldn't be safe for emergency vehicles to access down the back of the range to some of the buildings (because obviously, you wouldn't stop the shooting if the building next door was on fire)...
Of course not. If the buildings are on fire that simply means it'll be more metal and appeal to the kids

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Whitehart

I don't think that is a valid excuse for archers not to attend, if anything the location was better because there was plenty of parking and it was not expensive. I think there is a big growing disconnect between most club archers and events at the elite level.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I think there is a big growing disconnect between most club archers and events at the elite level.
I think that could be the result of sports, in general, splitting into those who do it for fun and those who want to earn a living at it. We can all see evidence of what it takes these days, to equal the scores of elite archers. In the past, it was a matter of getting on with your archery and being better than the opposition so the best rose to the top. Now, it really does take a "life changing" commitment, to get close enough to be considered for further help. The gap between the scores of club archers and elite archers has widened; club level scores may be dropping further behind as archers at clubs seem to be starting their archery later in life.

Corax67

Until this thread I assumed, rather foolishly, that the commonwealth games mirrored the olympics with regard to what sports are included and as such thought Archery was already in.

I suppose it depends on what criteria the organisers apply for selection - if they are looking for visually dynamic, exciting, crowd pulling sports then NO because we certainly aren't one of those. If they are looking for sports where UK countries might guarantee a medal (making us look good) then maybe Archery has a chance for inclusion following recent successes.

Karl

Whitehart

I think that could be the result of sports, in general, splitting into those who do it for fun and those who want to earn a living at it. We can all see evidence of what it takes these days, to equal the scores of elite archers. In the past, it was a matter of getting on with your archery and being better than the opposition so the best rose to the top. Now, it really does take a "life changing" commitment, to get close enough to be considered for further help. The gap between the scores of club archers and elite archers has widened; club level scores may be dropping further behind as archers at clubs seem to be starting their archery later in life.
So why do so many watch football, most of us on the terraces got to a certain level and then had to accept that we were not going to make it on the biggest stage.
We understand what it takes to get to the top, we can appreciate the tactics and marvel at the skill we see on the football pitch every game - well if you watch the right teams :).
Why is this any different for archery - We know what it takes, it has always meant a lot of self sacrifice to get to the top and it is the archers responsibility to get there not wait for others to give them the green light, we understand the rules involved and we can marvel at the skill on display, just watching top archers live is a world apart from seeing it on a screen - So perhaps it's the product that needs changing.

Whitehart

So why do so many watch football, most of us on the terraces got to a certain level and then had to accept that we were not going to make it on the biggest stage.
We understand what it takes to get to the top, we can appreciate the tactics and marvel at the skill we see on the football pitch every game - well if you watch the right teams :).
Why is this any different for archery - We know what it takes, it has always meant a lot of self sacrifice to get to the top and it is the archers responsibility to get there not wait for others to give them the green light, we understand the rules involved and we can marvel at the skill on display, just watching top archers live is a world apart from seeing it on a screen - So perhaps it's the product that needs changing.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I think football and Rugby are exciting to watch. Snooker can draw you in with a good commentary. Each game is different; each frame is different. Games and sets in tennis are all different and most are exciting. Archery, I feel, is unique in being of little lasting interest as a spectator. Each match looks like any other. I suppose you could say the score line gets exciting at times when two archers are close on scores; but I don't feel that is exciting enough to draw me away from watching athletics or other high speed sports. Archers stand still for most of their time and that's never going to be exciting. I guess darts is close to archery in some ways, but there is more for the darts player to manage. It's not just the accuracy in the high scoring zones, there is the working out of what zones to go for to finish on a double. Spectators can try to work out, in advance, what shots they will make next; as they do in snooker or even tennis. That never happens in archery; it's always a ten they want.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Edgebaston cricket ground would be a good venue, if it's not already spoken for
Though with the damage done to Lords they might not be too willing... and it'll be during cricket season... but I suppose... what about Villa Park? With the finals/medal matches at Aston Hall next door??