Arm guards?

Hudzi93

Hi, I've had a habit of hitting my arm guard with the string lately, and a lot of the times it's even getting caught underneath my arm guard and hitting my bare arm. I'm working towards not hitting my arm and trying to make sure that my arm is kept out the way, although this may take a while. In the meantime, I have noticed that its been damaging my string. At the moment I'm using one of the clubs arm guards, those typical hard plastic black ones. I'm looking to get my own one and I'd like opinions on a suitable arm guard to get that will minimise damage to my string just in case I do hit the arm guard.

Thanks

fbirder

I'm lucky in that my arm naturally sits out of the way. But I do have problems with loose sleeves sometimes (especially when it's raining). I use a Bohning Slip-On Armguard. This does a great job of restraining flappy sleeves and it has a very lightweight strip of plastic that will handle mild string-slaps. I doubt it would do more damage to a string that would bare flesh.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I find that I can hit my arm just by wearing an extra layer, like a long sleeved vest. When it is that sort of difference between hit and miss, the arm guard needs to be thin material. I have used a cyclists arm warmer to keep clothing close to my arm, and a six inch plastic ruler down the inside to cut down the pain if I get it wrong. The ruler would be better on the outside, but I was lazy and didn't want to make straps for it.

Hudzi93

I'm not too keen the the bohning slip-on guard as I've heard it's not very durable. Does anyone have an opinion on the beiter arm guard? There also a 'soft' version which is more flexible and has 3 straps.

fbirder

I'm not too keen the the bohning slip-on guard as I've heard it's not very durable.
I believe the older version had a problem because the logo was a separate item stitched onto the protective strip. It only took a few hits before that started getting ripped away. They redesigned it for 2013 so that the logo is screen-printed in a recess.

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
I'm not too keen the the bohning slip-on guard as I've heard it's not very durable. Does anyone have an opinion on the beiter arm guard? There also a 'soft' version which is more flexible and has 3 straps.
I tried a Beiter-type one...din't like it. For the past few years, I've just been using a simple plastic one and it does the job fine.

The more important part is to sort out why the string is hitting, rather than changing what its hitting.

Hudzi93

I tried a Beiter-type one...din't like it. For the past few years, I've just been using a simple plastic one and it does the job fine.

The more important part is to sort out why the string is hitting, rather than changing what its hitting.
Yes, I understand that. I'm trying to sort it out but for the odd occasion that it does hit the string I'd rather that the damage to the string was minimal.

Bowselecta

Supporter
Supporter
Hi,
Agree with DT.
Are you pushing/straightening your bow arm/hand which will move your arm inwards ? (push your elbow in from the outside of your bow arm to se what I mean ?)
I used to do this and went through many centre servings.
One thing I do now and it seems to help is to take a deep breadth in and exhale and turn to address the target etc. as this drops my shoulder and my arm is relaxed when I come up to draw.
I do still have a twang from time to time but it's getting less and less.

I have tried many arm braces...Beiter, Cartel, faux leather etc. but it seems in my case that it was my arm straighting/pushing inwards so the string hit the guard on its way through.....have had some lovely bruises and a couple of times drew blood !!! :)

Maybe a club coach or a clubmate could check to see if this may be happening to you when you draw and loose ?

Paul

Last edited:

Hudzi93

Hi,
Agree with DT.
Are you pushing/straightening your bow arm/hand which will move your arm inwards ? (push your elbow in from the outside of your bow arm to se what I mean ?)
I used to do this and went through many centre servings.
One thing I do now and it seems to help is to take a deep breadth in and exhale and turn to address the target etc. as this drops my shoulder and my arm is relaxed when I come up to draw.
I do still have a twang from time to time but it's getting less and less.

I have tried many arm braces...Beiter, Cartel, faux leather etc. but it seems in my case that it was my arm straighting/pushing inwards so the string hit the guard on its way through.....have had some lovely bruises and a couple of times drew blood !!! :)

Maybe a club coach or a clubmate could check to see if this may be happening to you when you draw and loose ?

Paul
I think what my problem is that to twist my elbow outwards I have to tense my shoulder and upper arm. When I'm at full draw, sometimes my elbow goes back in if I'm not thinking about it.

Hudzi93

I believe the older version had a problem because the logo was a separate item stitched onto the protective strip. It only took a few hits before that started getting ripped away. They redesigned it for 2013 so that the logo is screen-printed in a recess.
So is this the older one then?

And this the newer one..

I'm actually considering it now, but can you comment on the durability of the arm guard? Will it take plenty of hits from my string without falling apart? Ideally I would hope not to be hitting it so much but I'd still rather it was durable.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I've got two guards similar to the Bohning one, but made by Artebo.

A short one for indoors and one for outdoors with a long sleeve to keep my waterproof jacket out of the way of the string. Not noticed any durability issues.

I had the early Bohning one. It was $***. It fell apart if you looked at it funny.

Hudzi93

I just had a look at the artebo arm guard. It seems they only have a guard that covers the entire length of the arm. I didn't see one on their site that covers just the forearm.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Hmm I see what you mean. But I've got one so they did do them - the short ones may have been less popular maybe? If you want one give them a mail. Nadja was very accommodating for me.

Hudzi93

I've emailed her asking about this. Although I did just notice that the arm guard is pretty costly, as is their chest guard. Is a chest guard necessary though?

Vagabond

uy a tubular bandage (in SuperDrug or Boots here in the UK) and fit it OVER your arm & arm guard.
* Now string can't get underneath.
* Also hurts less if string misses the guard but still hits the arm.
* Will soak up any blood, bits of flesh, bones, etc.

In cold weather, you can use the tubular bandage over the sleeves of your jacket.

One thing NOT recommended: shoot with a bare arm.
But this is exactly how I cured my problem, and it REALLY hurt for a few weeks. At the end of the beginners course I had a problem with the string hitting my arm. Kept buying bigger & ticker arm guards and ended up with my arm encased in a leather longbow-type arm guard. But things weren't getting any better & probably getting worse. So I decided to shoot with no arm guard. Amazing how quickly an arm can learn.
Cured my problem: now I never wear an arm guard, just the tubular bandage.

The danger of this approach is that the brass nock I was using could easily have cut a nasty gash on my bow arm, but I got away with it. Others might not be so lucky. So be warned.
V

Hudzi93

Nadja (artebo) replied to my email and said this is a new arm guard coming up for this summer

At first glance, what do you think? I do realise that it will cost at least ?20 delivered, about double what I was expecting to pay for an arm guard. If it lasts and does the job well then it may be worth the extra few quid.

JohnoFon

I think what my problem is that to twist my elbow outwards I have to tense my shoulder and upper arm. When I'm at full draw, sometimes my elbow goes back in if I'm not thinking about it.
That sounds like a bit of form to work on. When I was learning, in the days before the Flood, I was told to grip the edge of a door and practice rotating my elbow without rolling the shoulder forward – the idea is that you're doing it without the weight of the bow complicating matters. That way you can learn the nack of doing it without having to tense up.

Wasn't there a discussion on serving length here recently? I didn't add my four-pennorth to that, but I've always understood that part of the function of the serving is to protect the string from friction with the arm. A bit of serving thread sounds a lot cheaper than a ?20 armguard!

---------------

Looking at the picture, it's going to be awfully hot in the summer.

Last edited:

hmngee

Try this at home folks ...

That sounds like a bit of form to work on. When I was learning, in the days before the Flood, I was told to grip the edge of a door and practice rotating my elbow without rolling the shoulder forward ? the idea is that you're doing it without the weight of the bow complicating matters. That way you can learn the nack of doing it without having to tense up.

Wasn't there a discussion on serving length here recently? I didn't add my four-pennorth to that, but I've always understood that part of the function of the serving is to protect the string from friction with the arm. A bit of serving thread sounds a lot cheaper than a ?20 armguard!

---------------

Looking at the picture, it's going to be awfully hot in the summer.
For less than ?20:-
Go to local Charity Shop, Purchase OLD 'Fleece' (actually any old long-sleeved top/polo shirt/Cardy will do) - ?1:00 tops
Then purchase an old Leather Jacket - ?5 -10
Cut up same to suit your 'design' (as in 'Blue Peter', complete with 'Fairy Liquid' or Toothpaste Tube(s) as 'Inners' to absorb the 'slap')
Get local Cobblers to sew up - ?10 max.
This bit is Optional - you could just use EvoStik or something & it COULD even be done on a domestic Sewing Machine with a LEATHER needle - IF (R) IF, 'She who must be obeyed', allows)

(mine cost a total of 11.99 for the lot (although to be fair, I experimented quite a bit first (Cost another ?14 in material), {'proof of concept'}).
Even taking TOTAL costs into account, my daughter and I, along with a couple of friends who wanted variants now have between us 2 Full arm and three Forearm bracers. All for just over ?30!!

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Looks nice....however....

?20 is a lot of cash for an armguard - the one I'm using is currently retailing for < ?3

Sort your form, so that you don't hit your arm - total cost ?0....

My "concern" with these types of arm guard is what are they like on a warm, sunny day (if/when we get them), or when shooting inside a roasting hot sports hall???

I think they are just completely over priced & over engineered....

Nadja (artebo) replied to my email and said this is a new arm guard coming up for this summer

At first glance, what do you think? I do realise that it will cost at least ?20 delivered, about double what I was expecting to pay for an arm guard. If it lasts and does the job well then it may be worth the extra few quid.