Arrow advice, what size

jime_d

Hi

So i have been shooting for about a year now, and i have almost got all the bits for my new bow, i now have to get some arrows and need some advice. After reading a few posts about arrows i can see it is not that straight forward to get the correct ones.

At the moment it is not easy to get to a shop and try some different arrows as the nearest is 40 minute drive and i don't have a car at the moment.

My bow is 68" SF ultimate with 34# SF elite fibre foam limbs, to back edge of the bow i am drawing the measuring arrow to 27 1/2", and after winding the bolts in 2 turns i have 34# otf. On the easton chart i could be either T3 or T4, i was thinking of getting some 1914 X7's but i don't know if these will be to stiff?

I did try some 1816 jazz and bare shafts were in the centre of group @ 15y, they are 28 1/2" long.

?

Thanks
jim

jime_d

I do know a couple of people with x7's but i think they are 1914's and bigger. I will check though.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I suspect 1914 will be stiff, but if you can try them you will know for certain then. If they are longer than you want, and they do show up stiff, then shorter ones would be even stiffer.
1814 X7's look about right as a match to the jazz you tried.

jime_d

ok a guy at the club has 1814 x7's and said he wouldn't mind me shooting a few ends with them, not sure of the length, about 28-29".

Without taking the fletchings off a couple of the arrows, what do i look for? Not sure he would let me rip his fletchings off.

How do i tell if an arrow is too stiff/weak; just by shooting at a boss @ about 15-20y?.

jime_d

if you go to the easton website, they have a spine selector where you put in the arrow length and your poundage and it selects roughly the right shaft. | Easton Archery
That comes up as 1914 x7s, which i was tempted to buy. They would be ok when i up the poundage a bit, but may be to stiff at the length i need.

I will just wait a bit longer and try to borrow a few different types of arrows from people at the club.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Jime_d,
One way, is to ask the owner of the arrows to watch them fly. he will be able to see if they waggle a lot as they leave the bow.A slightly different idea is to ask the owner or someone else, to stand well back and use binoculars focussed on you. It is easier to catch the arrow flight in bins as you are further back, so it is easier to see them. It's like watching a plane through bins, they seem to move slowly yet we know they go much faster than they appear.
Also, the owner may have kept a couple of bare shafts to use for his own testing/setting up.