Arrow diameter for different poundage plunger stuff.

52BIGSBY

Hello All,
I currently shoot a 28lb recurve ILF bow using 1716 XX75 Platinum Plus arrows.
I have recently come down in poundage and the newfound control has improved my archery no end.
I still have a want to occasionally let some go with a higher poundage bow, I like the feeling. I also think
that it keeps the 28lb feeling light and easy.
I have a 36lb cheap and cheerful black hunter job, but would prefer to swap limbs on my current riser to, say 40lb
when I feel like experiencing some decent velocity.
My problem is that I have carefully adjusted my plunger (new to that) for the 1716's, and would have to wind it in
to accommodate a fatter/heavier spined arrow. Mine does not "click".
It is probably straight forward to measure turns, but to be honest I am very happy with the set up, and do not wish
to fiddle around with it too much. I am not a tweaker as a rule.
Is there a means of finding a reasonably priced arrow that has the same diameter as the 1716's that I can use with
higher poundage limbs without piddling around with the plunger?
Thank you for opinions.

deg

Hello All,
I have recently come down in poundage and the newfound control has improved my archery no end.
I still have a want to occasionally let some go with a higher poundage bow, I like the feeling. I also think
I have a 36lb cheap and cheerful black hunter job, but would prefer to swap limbs on my current riser to, say 40lb
My problem is that I have carefully adjusted my plunger (new to that) for the 1716's, and would have to wind it in
It is probably straight forward to measure turns, but to be honest I am very happy with the set up, and do not wish
Is there a means of finding a reasonably priced arrow that has the same diameter as the 1716's that I can use with
Thank you for opinions.
That was also my doubt when I started to shot carbon arrows AND 1716XX75.
Another button would be the optimal solution: you may want to use different button stiffness for different arrow sets - if button pressure is not overly critical you may use a washer - try with different thickness, it may help

Gianc.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Two problems here: Yes, get a second button and set it up correctly for your other limbs and arrows. BUT: are your other limbs correctly aligned on the riser with the same left-right and tiller settings?

Big George

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
This year when I switched to my indoor set up I opted for a second button and rest for the thicker arrows. Different string as well but that’s down to me experimenting with number of strands but it’s something to think about in terms of nicking poin. Limbs are the same as I’m rebuilding strength after illness. So far I’ve found it easy to swap between home practice and indoor set up.

Steve Ruis

Supporter
Supporter
Hello All,
Thank you for opinions.
If you look at most any spine chart for selecting arrows, the groups are set up with draw lengths by the inch and draw weight in 5# increments. Each five pound increment is served by a specific arrow shaft or group of shafts (called a "spine group"). What this means is that if your arrows are perfectly tuned, you are about 2.5# away from needing another shaft, certainly a 5# difference needs different shafts.

Having said that, if your shooting the heavier bows is just to stay in shape for shooting heavier bows, it really doesn't matter much whether you have a spine match for that bow or not. If you ask around you can probably pick up a half dozen arrows of roughly the right spine to shoot out of your heavier bows, so that you do not overstress the arrows that fly well from your 28# bow.

Hawkmoon

I just use two buttons, I have one set for my 620 ACCs that I shoot outdoors (30m-90m) and another for my 400 X-Busters that I shoot indoors.

jerryRTD

Hello All,
Thank you for opinions.
I think you are asking for trouble going from 28 to 40 lbs you could injure yourself