Arrow rest advice

edarter

Hi,
First post here as my son and I have not been shooting for too long, really enjoying it though.
As the title suggests though I have a question about arrow rests. We both got our own kit about a month ago and both bows were fitted with the hoyt super rest. All has been good so far but on Friday evening my son could not shoot correctly at all, the arrows were violently waving left and right in flight. Several club members have said our rests need to be upgraded and that this is the cause. Further investigation showed that the arrows could indeed wobble left and right a little on the rest to the point they were not in contact with the button. We changed the rest as I had a spare of the same sort and things improved but were still not right. However the button had been tweaked by that point.
When I got home I checked his bow setup and the button now looked to be too far in after the adjustment carried out during Fridays issues, meaning the shaft of the arrow shows to the left of the string rather than the right (we both shoot left handed). When I adjusted the button to correctly align the arrow shaft I did notice that it's so far away from the riser that the arrow rests right on the part of the rest where the plastic gets very thin. This could explain why the rest wore out so quickly.

I'm now uncertain as to what to do, my lad is 9 and does not use a clicker, so I'm concerned a magnetic rest will just cause other problems like arrows constantly falling off, however it looks like the hoyt super rest needs to be stood away from the riser more than the supplied sticky pad allows. I could use 2 pads I guess.
The bow is a hoyt excel with sf limbs. All looks to be true so I don't think the setup is causing the spacing issue but I could be wrong.

All advice greatly appreciated

Thanks
Ed

Mufti

In my opinion the Hoyt rest is as good as any out there.
Button setup is not difficult and is very prescriptive.

I would put the left-right business (and falling off the rest) down to your grip on the string (the fingers must be interfering with the arrow somehow).
Look to the drawing hand, not the rest.

Last edited:

Archer_Mike

I have been using a Hoyt rest and find the results to be satisfying.
I find that the magnetic or metal rests have their own set of issues.

Would tend to agree with Mufti, it is a possiblity that the draw hand is pinching the knock and causing the arrow to shift.
Are you'll shooting three below or split finger?

edarter

Thanks for the replies. He is shooting split finger, I couldn't see him pinching the arrows but it's something to look for. What are your thoughts on using two of the sticky pads to get the arrow rest spacing correct so that the arrow sits on the main part of the rest rather that the really fragile hook part?

Archer_Mike

@ edarter ... can't really comment on the double sticky pads unless one sees it in person.
However the extra pad should be able to better counteract the flexing of the arrow against the riser/button; at least in theory.

Mufti

They come in two thicknesses, the thicker of the two should suffice.
Ask your club maintenance officer if they have a thick one going spare.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Another vote for keeping the Hoyt rest and packing it out a bit more so the arrow isn't bending the curly piece when resting against the button.
Sometimes the arrow falls off the rest because the nocking points are too close together. Sometimes the finger below the arrow gets squashed up against the underside of the shaft as the draw increases, and lifts the arrow enough to fall off the rest.
Another cause can be the grip on the string. As the draw increases, some archers curl their fingers more and more in order to keep hold of the string. That can lead to the string being twisted, and with tight nocks, the arrow gets turned away from the button, and off the rest.
If your son is a little hesitant the slow and jerky draw can make things worse; a smooth confident draw is better.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
another vote for keeping the Hoyt Super Rest... I mean, if it's good enough for the Koreans at the Olympics, it's good enough for me!!

they're cheap enough that you can keep a few spares in the bowcase *if* anything breaks on them.

edarter

Thanks guys, think I'm going to order some more Hoyt ones and just pack it out a bit further. Only needs another millimeter or two in order to be resting on the more substantial part of the arrow rest.