Arrow Saw Cleaning

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Does anyone clean out their arrow saw? Mine's making an odd noise and I'm thinking that there could be a build up of arrow dust and bits inside it. But on the other hand I don't want to tear it apart and ruin any tolerances in there.

Mine didn't come with any instructions so I don't know if there's any preventative maintenance that I should be doing to it.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Ok, I decided to just jump in and have a go myself.

I removed the top plate of the motor housing. The inside was completely filled by a plastic encased motor. This was labelled 'sewing machine motor', which makes sense I suppose and explains why the lead is exactly the same as the lead on my wife's sewing machine.

Anyway, I didn't fancy cracking the plastic open for 'a bit of a noise' so I went to plan B and dug out a computer air duster aerosol.

I squirted this into the vents in the motor housing; clouds of black dust billowed out. Anyway, it sounds a lot better now so I guess that I've done some good.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
We used to vacuum out things at work with a special nozzle a chap called Melvyn made that was designed to poke into small orifices. Better than blasting the grot into inaccessible working parts but you have recognised the problem.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
We used to vacuum out things at work with a special nozzle a chap called Melvyn made that was designed to poke into small orifices. Better than blasting the grot into inaccessible working parts but you have recognised the problem.
Thanks. How often did you clean it?