Arrow spine for Reiver

Ratman

I just ordered Reiver XP 30 CX, 59# 64". I was wondering what the correct spine would be for me ....?

I draw 29", So my draw weight should be around 60#. I use mohair-rest and thin leather pad in the window cut.

Ratman

duffy

I just ordered Reiver XP 30 CX, 59# 64". I was wondering what the correct spine would be for me ....?

I draw 29", So my draw weight should be around 60#. I use mohair-rest and thin leather pad in the window cut.

Ratman
hi ratman, i think border recommend arrow spine to be 10-15 higher than draw weight, so that would maybe be 70-75 for you, they also have a booklet thats talks about the importance of arrow weight, so you might be able to have a lesser spine if the total arrow weight is ok for your bow, hope one of the sids can give you a better answer.

rusty craine

Oh that explains it. I had been shooting some arrows I thought were 30" - 50 to 55 # spine out of my 42# Harrier. Harrier has been fly them very well. Dug out the spine tester after reading the bookelt and they were around 65# spine.

Nice booklet. My Harrier has been shooting up at storm at BH 6.5" thought it might be low...nope right in the ball park.

Let us know how your Reiver works out, Nice looking bow. My Harrier is the Royale. it shoots a pretty wide range of spines. Good thing it is clear I don't have a clue what some of my arrows are spined.

rusty

Ratman

Thanks guys! That booklet was very informative. So, I guess I just have to buy a couple of different arrow sets of different spine and test them.

Ratman

RYaciuk

Super Riever Spine

I owned the same Border bow and specs except for 62", I have the same draw length. I found that most any 400 series Carbon Arrow with a 100 grain brass insert and a 125 grain field point shot like a dart out of that bow. This makes a very stable and reliable arrow depending on what your course of shooting is. It may be heavy for great distance but I found it suitable to 40 meters and after that trajectory got tougher. I am a traditional instinctive shooter, no sites.

I travel by car (70,000 miles a year) in my work and always have a bow with me. I don't mean to suggest that carbon is preferred over wood, it is just less concern for my lifestyle and solves the problem. I understand there are significant differences in UK Archery culture.

My best to all.

duffy

whats more important regarding the arrow, is it the spine or the toal arrow weight, of course you cant go too low due to the damage it does to the bow, but can you get away with having a lighter spine arrow, ie my bow on my fingers is 50lb what if i went for 55-60 spine, thats not a big jump. how will they behave differently compoared to a heavier spine (not just the fact that a heavier arrow will drop quicker)?

Ratman

Arrows for Reiver

I ordered arrows from Falco (Estonia)

They were 11/32 and spined 76-79#

They fly perfectly from my 59# Reiver - right there where I want them to fly!

The bow is great. It is very comfortable and quiet.

Now I am test shooting 61# Griffon... Longbows are too difficult to shoot :mad:

Ratman