Arrow Spine Selection Help

Yonniol

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase some X7 arrows for my sister as her birthday is looming. She has a drawlength of 24" and her recurve limbs states #36.

Which spine should I get for her?

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Assuming by drawlength you mean her actual arrow length, and assuming that her draw weight for 36~ limbs at clicker length is around 26# (23" actual draw, and loosing 2# per inch, Easton charts say she needs XX75 arrows as the X7 will be too stiff.

XX75 in 1416 spine.

To really get teh selection righ though, you really need to measure her current arrow length, determine if she wants the same arrow length for the new ones, and measure her draw weight with her current limbs at her actual draw length.

If her actual arrow length is 25.5", and she actually draws 28#, then X7's in 1514 spine would be right.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Yonniol, to get a good match to her bow, we could do with a bit more information.
Two things that will help is the arrow length she will be shooting and the way in which the draw length of 24" was measured.
For example, some would say the draw length is 24" because they measured from the nock of the arrow to the arrow rest. Others might have measured to the edge of the riser beyond the arrow rest.
If, for example the 24" draw was measured to the edge of the riser, I might want an arrow that was 1" longer than that, so buy arrows 25" long.

Yonniol

Thanks both. Took a while to find this out as I wanted to surprise her. Measure her arrows when she left her archery kit at home this evening. Her arrows from groove of nock to end of shaft (excluding points) are 24"

Had a look at her clicker. It is ever so slightly close to the end of the riser (about quarter inch before it is flush to the end of the metal riser bit).

Would 1514 still be alright or should I be looking elsewhere?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
From that information she could use 24" arrows. If there is any chance that her draw length might increase through developing a more in line posture then 25" might be a safer option.
Her draw length is shorter than the 28" used for the 34lb draw weight, by about 3" and that would mean she is drawing(5% less per inch) just over 30lb.If you can check that by using bow scales or similar, draw the string with the scales until the arrow point comes to the clicker.... best done with the arrow pointing somewhere safe, it would help confirm the weight.
On the Easton chart 25" at 30 lb is group T1 and 1616 or 1714.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
If she is nearly at the end of the clicker, I wouldnt go any longer or she will have to get a new style clicker too....
From my Easton chart, for a 24" arrow the lightest X7 available is 1514 spine which is rated for 27 to 32 lb so will probably be fine.

Yonniol

Thanks again! She's been shooting for a few years now so I don't think her drawlength would change. I'll get the 24" 1514 for her then. :)