Arrows for windy conditions

olis

Supporter
Supporter
I use a 550 spine Carbon One with 120 grain head as my outdoor arrow. These are great most of the time but I do get blown about at long distance in wind. Is there anything I can do about this without spending lots of money?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Actually, Carbon Ones are pretty good for staying on target in the wind. A heavy point helps down range grouping too, providing your bow is tuned to the arrows, so unless you want to fork out for X10s, you're already there. Personally, in the wind, I find it's me that gets blown about far more than the arrows do, so I focus on being solid and my fitness shooting in the wind.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
What size vanes are you using?

AFAIK using smaller vanes is the cheapest way to reduce (some of) the wind drift.

olis

Supporter
Supporter
Actually, Carbon Ones are pretty good for staying on target in the wind. A heavy point helps down range grouping too, providing your bow is tuned to the arrows, so unless you want to fork out for X10s, you're already there. Personally, in the wind, I find it's me that gets blown about far more than the arrows do, so I focus on being solid and my fitness shooting in the wind.
Really, this was the answer I wanted. I am very aware that the biggest equipment problem is me and I have spent enough money already. The nagging doubt is turning up to a comp and the others on your boss are all using X10s. I suppose if there really was a magic bullet they'd all be using those.

olis

Supporter
Supporter
What size vanes are you using?

AFAIK using smaller vanes is the cheapest way to reduce (some of) the wind drift.
I use the smaller AAE ones EP16 I think. I did wonder whether using a slightly heavier shaft would stop the back kicking out based on nothing except some vague physics intuition; but a heavier arrow doesn't cast as well so you might be worse off.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
You could consider spinwings - much lighter than rubber vanes - but you'll probably need to retune.

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
I use the smaller AAE ones EP16 I think.

Yep, that's what I'm using too.

I've only been shooting just over a year & am on a very restrictive budget so 'only' using Mybo Hailstorms for compo & Avalon Tyros for club sessions.

Andy!

For the performance/cost ratio, it's actually pretty hard to beat the carbon ones. It's unfortunate that they got more expensive as people caught on to how well they actually performed.
The only person that I trust to test arrows properly said that they were very good indeed when they first arrived on the scene. The best thing for shooting in the wind is more shooting in the wind.
The number of archers who turn into absolute garbage once the wind gets up is actually a great leveller.