asd pro series

upinsmoke

Hi I have recently become interested in archery again and have been shooting my 20 year old barnet safari compound. However i would like to get something a bit more modern. So i would like to ask you bow persons if any of you has shot the asd pro compound bow, i'm on a budget and don't intend to spent to much. Thanks

Lammas

I would stay away from that bow. Looks like a no-name East-Asian ripp-off, sold only on thos notorious platforms. What about warranties, spare parts, etc. ? A good beginners bow doesn't cost much more. The PSE Stinger has a good reputation. Or one of the 10..70# bows from Bear or Diamond.

But first of all, I would go to a pro shop and try before I buy. You can start with stating your budget ...

upinsmoke

HI my Barnet Shafari is 30 years old its sat in the loft for over 20 years. All i did was replace the springy rest with a whisker rest, add a peep sight and a decent pin sight and she was good to go. Then on with the denim jeans and camo top and off to farm for a very relaxing session.

Lammas

Don't know the Barnett Safari myself, but it looks like a bow for finger shooting with out let-off. More like a recurve on wheels ...
Modern compounds draw their precision from a draw stop + let-off, and a release aid. The exact same amount of energy at every shot, and a clean release (usually...). The definition of fun is another story.

upinsmoke

Hi Thanks for input Lammas, the safari does have some let-off maybe 25%, will be fitting a d loop and release aid on it next. The idea of 70% let-off is far more tempting though.

Lammas

In your place, I would really try a bow in a shop before, to see if you like that style of shooting at all.
BTW, I made it a habit to make larger purchases not at first sight. Archery shop sellers are not used-car-salesmen, but one never knows ...

upinsmoke

Hi got a nice cheap chinese wrist release, tied a d loop on on the string, now shooting good at 40yrds target. Not bad for cheap compound from the 80s. Any of you guys into crossbow shooting they can be very accurate and powerfull up to quite long ranges.

jonnyboyws6

Your Safari may have been Barnett's "cheap" entry level bow, but at least they were having a serious attempt at making quality archery gear in that era, in contrast to the "youth bows" they make nowadays. They have always made good crossbows though. I shoot them too, but they don't seem very popular with most archery clubs

upinsmoke

Thanks for your input, am having good fun with this bow again after all the years of inactivity archery wise. I agree seems crossbow is quite a dirty word, went to my local archery shop to try and buy nocks for my crossbow bolts, and the guy had a bit of a hissy fit.

upinsmoke

Hi i have now got this bow shooting quite well, added a home made balance rod and needed to also make a finger sling, as now trying to concentrate on form ie not using the death grip on the handle. So was looking forward to nice relaxing session today down the farm shooting targets. However my sheep decided not to let me do this first standing in front of the target then trying to eat the fletching of the arrows in the target, then one of the rams thought it would good fun to butt me just as i released, thus loosing a carbon arrow. I had to give up after that, so now will have have wait till after the mid winter festival to try again. Hope you all have good holiday, get to some archery and enjoy yourselves