Back quiver for target?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghound

I was thinking about a back quiver to use on the shooting line at indoor comps. I'm 6ft2 with my shoes on, decent size beer belly, and use full length arrows, so this combination irritates fellow competitors who have to duck when i swing my bow and arrows about. Would a back quiver be the idea, is there anything small for sale that is suitable, probably only to carry 3 or 4 arrows?

ThomVis

One archer at my club shoots (recreational) target with a back quiver. His tube (quiver!) is about 2" diameter, and nicely dressed up with leather. He's a small guy with knitting needle size arrows and doesn't hinder anyone at the shooting line.

grimsby archer

I was thinking about a back quiver to use on the shooting line at indoor comps. I'm 6ft2 with my shoes on, decent size beer belly, and use full length arrows, so this combination irritates fellow competitors who have to duck when i swing my bow and arrows about. Would a back quiver be the idea, is there anything small for sale that is suitable, probably only to carry 3 or 4 arrows?
Your not the only tall fat bloke shooting, so do what everyone else does and learn to shoot with economy of space.
You should have 80cm of personal shooting line (bosses at 1.6m between centers) so learn to load your bow infront of you with care

ghound

I did my first comp with a longbow last week, and i did struggle to load the arrow with the tight space, i'm defo a claustrophobic....

DavidH

It seems most people I've seen with back quivers always seem to be grasping at thin air, at least on you-tube. and what about putting the darn things back? I don't see how a side quiver causes a problem on space. Its no different to a recurve archer, or am I misunderstanding you.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
It seems most people I've seen with back quivers always seem to be grasping at thin air, at least on you-tube. and what about putting the darn things back? I don't see how a side quiver causes a problem on space. Its no different to a recurve archer, or am I misunderstanding you.
Actually i've been poked a fair few times by side quivers and depending where the archer has them on their belt, they can swing wildly when walking to collect arrows.
Back quivers do need getting used to, I've grasped at air occasionally though usually its because I've run out of arrows and not realised it. I could turn my head and look each time, similar to those with side quivers looking down, but I tend not too.

ghound

A fellow forum member has kindly made me a real nice back quiver and matching arm brace in thick leather with a crocks back finish. I haven't got to use the back quiver yet but i used the arm brace at a comp over the weekend and it was dead comfy.

Hudzi93

Is there anything wrong with using a traditional leather back quiver with aluminium or carbon arrows?

With a side quiver my arrows stick out quite a bit and often come in the way when people are moving about (when I'm shooting at my club indoors). Also, the quiver moves about a lot and makes quite a racket when I walk.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Nothing wrong with wearing a back quiver for target, or for using them for ally or carbon arrows, unless you are using a longbow then can't use ally or carbon.
Though I don't actually think back quivers are really traditional, historically quivers were longer that held your arrows vertically and dangled from your belt, or were a canvas bag with a leather spacer. I could be wrong about them not being traditional, either way though they look good.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Generally they are associated with longbows, but there nothing stopping anyone using a back quiver. Personally I find them easier and more fluid to draw and nock and arrow, with belt quivers there seems alot of movement esp if you don't hold it around the nock. Admittedly belt quiver is easier to withdraw specific arrows but generally don't need that in target.

Hudzi93

Thanks for your opinion. If I ever replace my quiver I reckon I'll get a back quiver, I just don't want to spend the money right now since its not a necessity and There are other things the money could be better spent on. I think I rushed into buying all of my equipment, although most of it is all good, I'm not too keen on the quiver I bought and my backpack isn't great either.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Depending on how good you are at working with your hands, you can always make a quiver, or if you have a slide quiver with an extra belt that could be converted to a makeshift back quiver easily.

Riceburner

Try a 'hunting' style quiver - similar to a back quiver, but you draw the arrows from a hole in the side of the tube.

I made myself one out of a regular arrow tube and it's absolutely ideal for both target and field. I wanted something that would transport arrows safely on a motorcycle (my main transport), so I've padded the rube top and bottom with foam, which holds the arrow in place - no clacking or noise, and the whole thing is very light.
Other benefits are that the arrows aren't exposed at the end of the tube, so, providing you put them back in properly, they physically can't fall out - no matter how much leaning over, or crabbing about in the undergrowth you need to do! ;)

Craftsman

Dead easy to make, I made one from the closed end of a rifle slip that had become somewhat frayed, so just chopped the last 18" off, added a D ring and neatened the mouth.
A couple of spring clips on either end and 'voila'.

I have also made suede covered ones out of long plastic tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.