Back quiver.

Dennarcher

AIUK Saviour
Could be in the wrong thread here but maybe someone could redirect me if so.
Saw a you tube video recently where the guy was using a back quiver that had a cut out in the side so that the arrows could be withdrawn downwards, rather than the usual "over the shoulder" contortions. Spent ages trawling through ads for a quiver like this but to no avail. Does anyone have any info on these?

Berny

There are a couple on 3rivers website ....
....think that's where Sid at Borders got his, camo, fur-lined, .....

Riceburner

It's often called a 'stalking quiver' or 'side quiver'.

I use one that I made myself out of an arrow tube. I find it's excellent for field-archery because the arrows never fall out when you lean over (I've seen this happen to 'over-the-shoulder' quivers), the tube keeps the arrows out of the rain, and you're not going to catch your arrows on twigs and branches when you're scrabbling around looking for a lost arrow in the undergrowth. :D

Mind you - I have an extra specific requirement for mine - carrying the kit on a motorcycle - so the converted arrow tube with a cover over the hole is a custom job specifically useful for me. I'd put up some photos, but I don't seem to have any yet. (I made the thing a few years ago out of bits and pieces).

Could you paste up the link to the youtube video you found? Always keen to learn a new trick or two. :)

Last edited:

Dennarcher

AIUK Saviour
Thanks for that Riceburner. Will endeavour to provide link but not very good at it.
Can't hack it!
If you go to you tube, search cherry bow and then select the Colin Peck video you're there. I found the vid after looking for cherry bow as I made one very similar but minus so many knots. Same poundage, excellent bow. Use it for field and target.

Riceburner

Here's the link if anyone else wants to see. :)

This is a similar style of quiver: (not identical, but similar)

I'll try to get some photos of my setup at some point. :)

tabashir

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks folks. Never seen one of those quivers before. I currently use a field quiver as I find I catch things less with that than a forward quiver but this looks to be be a better compromise than either of those.
Now I have a new project to add to my ever growing list :)

malbro

Instinctive Archer
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I cant get on with a back quiver so as a leftie I am using a standard right hand hip quiver, on my left hip, which works well for me as the arrows are pointing backwards, so much easier moving through the woods. Not so easy if your right handed finding a left hand quiver though:)

Dennarcher

AIUK Saviour
Might be getting the kit out on Boxing day for a Boxing day shoot (in the garden! We're Tier 4), so will take pics then. :D
Got a field shoot with mates set for boxing day, looking forward to that. Have bought a cheap faux leather back quiver to hack about as a trial. If it works Ok then I might buy a real leather one and "improve" it. Merry Christmas to you and all on here.

Dennarcher

AIUK Saviour
I cant get on with a back quiver so as a leftie I am using a standard right hand hip quiver, on my left hip, which works well for me as the arrows are pointing backwards, so much easier moving through the woods. Not so easy if your right handed finding a left hand quiver though:)
I'm a lefty too. Currently using a Left handed field quiver, which is OK but the arrows still get snagged if I have to push through close growing conifers to retrieve an arrow.

malbro

Instinctive Archer
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Thanks folks. Never seen one of those quivers before. I currently use a field quiver as I find I catch things less with that than a forward quiver but this looks to be be a better compromise than either of those.
Now I have a new project to add to my ever growing list :)
KG Archery seem to have a similar one on their site

tabashir

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks Malbro.
I wasn't sure whether I'd get on with one, so didn't want to spend a bunch then find it wasn't much use to me. I'd also seen this one on the 3Rivers site which gave me an idea: Safari Tuff ArrowMaster Side Quiver
Bit of guttering from Screwfix, some straps and string I had kicking around and the first prototype is here.
If it works well enough, I'll wrap it in some leather or canvas and put a flap over the hole so it can double to take arrows to and fro as well.

Attachments

Riceburner

Thanks Malbro.
I wasn't sure whether I'd get on with one, so didn't want to spend a bunch then find it wasn't much use to me. I'd also seen this one on the 3Rivers site which gave me an idea: Safari Tuff ArrowMaster Side Quiver
Bit of guttering from Screwfix, some straps and string I had kicking around and the first prototype is here.
If it works well enough, I'll wrap it in some leather or canvas and put a flap over the hole so it can double to take arrows to and fro as well.
Mine is much the same..... :D

I have the top closed on mine though (permanently) because of the double-use (transport)

tabashir

Supporter
Supporter
First tests worked well, really like it, so covered it, added a few extra holes for adjusting how it sits. I intend to use it as a transport arrow tube too, so may have to put a few more holes in the opening to be able to close it and would like to think of a better way of closing the top off without just stuffing a rag in the top! That can wait till we get to travel to shoot again I think though! 20210109_141255.jpg

tabashir

Supporter
Supporter
That's really good. I like the idea of loading from the bottom. Means can seal the top off, or at least not have to worry about making it conveniently removable.
Also solves the one downside of my one which is that you can't see the arrows easily, so if you lose count of how many you've shot you have to rummage around. I've been putting 9 arrows in the quiver and when you down to 4 or 3 it can be quite hard to distinguish without double checking. Reminds me of Dirty Harry, "Was it six arrows I've loosed, or was it only five?"
I feel more experimentation coming on......

Riceburner

That's really good. I like the idea of loading from the bottom. Means can seal the top off, or at least not have to worry about making it conveniently removable.
Also solves the one downside of my one which is that you can't see the arrows easily, so if you lose count of how many you've shot you have to rummage around. I've been putting 9 arrows in the quiver and when you down to 4 or 3 it can be quite hard to distinguish without double checking. Reminds me of Dirty Harry, "Was it six arrows I've loosed, or was it only five?"
I feel more experimentation coming on......
It's easier than I make it look ( ;) ) to twist and be able to see the arrow ends as you reach for them. :)