Bag or case for 27 inch riser

LittleRascal

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some recommendations for a good bag or case that would fit a long riser, as there seems to be a lot that don't (or at least, they don't fit without it being overly snug). I'm not fussy about brand, but I would like it to be well constructed with good protection for the kit, and a decent amount of organisation pockets.

The reason I'm considering cases is I travel overseas fairly regularly for long enough for it to be worth taking my kit, and I would like to try taking it with me. Is a case worth it, or can you pack a soft bag into a hard shelled suitcase and have it be protected enough? Thanks in advance!!

Badgers Dad

Unless you want the bow broken by the baggage handling staff I'd go for a hard case!! If money no object then go for an skb flight case.

LittleRascal

Thanks for the suggestion, but the SKB case is so expensive!! I'm looking for something closer to ?100, although a bit over is fine if its worth it! Anyone know if the fivics costar or the decut ABS case will fit a 27 inch riser? Also how have experiences with the Hoyt formula recurve bag been? I'm tempted to get that, as it is specifically designed for long risers...

Tuck

I've used the Negrini mid sized case for many years to transport recurve gear, cost just over ?100, and is light enough to not add too many ??? to your airline bill.
Weight is uber important.

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

Tuck

I've always shipped it as sporting equipment so it has to go to the special luggage gate for X-ray exam. Usually only a standard charge but varies from airline to airline, check out websites or phone for info.

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

LittleRascal

This may be completely pointless, but in case anyones looking at this many moons from now and wondering what conclusion I drew, I decided to blow my budget out the water and go with a Pelican Storm iM3100 case (on sale, but still...), and havent regretted it one bit. Its built like a tank and I love it. Theres plenty of guides on the internet, but I spent a while looking at what was the best setup in my case for me, then traced the parts out in chalk and used an electric carving knife to chop the foam up. Worked great, and has done a fantastic job.

I went with the 3100 in the end as it was the only hardsided case I could find that was both airline legal (I travel home to somewhere that cant handle oversized luggage, and is very hard on it), would fit in my trunk (just) and could hold a 34" longrod as well as uncut ACE's in good protection. Considering what we all spend on the toys, it made sense to me to get something that I knew would protect those bits well. Downsides have been that I need to use a backpack to get my quiver & scope to the range, as they dont fit in the case, but that really is it, and it means I've automatically got a backpack to stuff other things into. If you go with this option, get the desiccant tin they sell as well, its worth it. Happy shooting =)