Battle Archery

Anyone tried this? I did it a couple of weeks ago for a stag do.

It's kind of like paintballing with low poundage barebows and arrows with foam pads instead of points.

It was actually really good fun I'd recommend it.

Easily found with a quick bit of Googling.

Steve Ruis

Supporter
Supporter
I think it is an abomination. We spend countless hours working with young people training them that we don't shoot arrows at people (or even humanoid targets!) and then along comes a "game" where they can do so with impunity.

And I can't wait until the kids who can't afford the gear improvise their own and well, I live in a country with more than its fair share of of drunken yahoos, and I can't wait to see their efforts.

Do we really have naught else to do?

I guess I just proved to have gotten to the grumpy old man stage.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I think it is an abomination. We spend countless hours working with young people training them that we don't shoot arrows at people (or even humanoid targets!) and then along comes a "game" where they can do so with impunity.

And I can't wait until the kids who can't afford the gear improvise their own and well, I live in a country with more than its fair share of of drunken yahoos, and I can't wait to see their efforts.

Do we really have naught else to do?

I guess I just proved to have gotten to the grumpy old man stage.
We also teach them the same with guns(excluding military training in this), but there are a number of video games, plus laser quest and paintball that oppose that. These are very low poundage bows with wide and thick padding, that do less than half the damage of paintball at closer range, and no mess.

Besides isn't the first time this happens, it's just become advertised. LARP and re-enactments often have bows that shoot people or into crowds of them.

It actually seems to be a stepping stone to getting people into archery as well.

I had a good time and know others that did too. So much so they they are looking into doing a beginners course.

Steve Ruis

Supporter
Supporter
Yeah, but is this something we want to expand. With laser tag and paintball we have similar things already. I am aware that the bows are lightweight and plenty of foam packaging, but what will the gear look like for the kids who can't afford the commercial versions and decide to cobble up their own?

And I do not think there will be much of a draw for traditional archery programs. Archery Tag is designed around excitement and moving targets, just like in the movies. Standing still and shooting at circular targets will not seem as much fun.

You don't buy your own equipment. It is supplied to you all safety tested and ready to go. They won't let you use any of your own equipment.

And actually shooting at a non moving target at 100 yards is a lot more exciting than shooting at a person at 10 yards.

Last edited:

jantar77

Supporter
Supporter

Where are good old times when people were less obsessed with children safety and more taught them independent judgement? When I first saw archery tag I was like "yeah, that's exactly what we did with padded arrows and bent hazelnut sticks (read bows) when I was a kid." It was in 80's. Now archery tag is considered abomination promoting human violence? I used to walk into school now parents drive their kids to school because walking is considered dangerous. Seems to me the world got too crazy about health and safety.

Sorry for the rant, I couldn't help myself. Anyway for me archery tag is much fun. It is very physical because you try to move all the time and if you don't get too close you have good chance avoid hits by dodging. I also teach young people that bow and arrow is serious weapon but I believe they can see the difference between sharp and padded arrow, don't you think so?

and for those interested I still have one of the improvised arrows, so here's the photo

DSC_0505.jpg

4d4m

Harrumph! How dare they besmirch the serious business of flinging pointy (or not) sticks!

It seems "fun" is becoming a dirty word these days. It's safe, legal and (sounds) huge fun, so why the hell not? In fact I'd love to have a go.
I'm fast approaching the age bracket of the grumpy old man demographic, but if I ever get like that please shoot me!
With a padded arrow of course. ;)