[Horsebow] Best care of new bow?

lakewitch

Hi folks,

just bought myself a Kaya KTB (carbon) bow from Archery world in Preston....lovely little bow and a nice companion to my Bickerstaffe Longbow.

Is there anything anyone can tell me regarding its care/maintenance that may differ from how I look after my Longbow? Obviously the leather wrap is different, but what about waxing the wooden ends or other things I may need to consider?

Many thanks for any information...

Lakewitch

(Frank)

BillM

I would suggest a little suede brush to remove any mud that gets on to the leather. Just make sure it is cleaned and dried after using it.

BillM

lakewitch

Living in Cumbria, keeping it dry will be the hardest part.....which is why I thought of something applied to the wood to help stop damp penetration.
Off to buy doggy hide chews now to make a thumb ring...good fun!

Thanks guys

Lakewitch

Riceburner

Living in Cumbria, keeping it dry will be the hardest part.....which is why I thought of something applied to the wood to help stop damp penetration.
Off to buy doggy hide chews now to make a thumb ring...good fun!

Thanks guys

Lakewitch
You don't 'need' a thumbring to use the horsebow - but it is fun. :) I made mine out of a piece of leather ripped off a workboot I found in the hedgerow. Mind you - 60lbs is hell to hold on my thumb!

lakewitch

I rang Quicks and took their advice regarding a thumb ring, the size recommended was way too big .. waste of money. Will play with a few ideas on that, but for now have made a temp.2 finger tab. Love the bow, and its a joy to shoot.

Riceburner

I rang Quicks and took their advice regarding a thumb ring, the size recommended was way too big .. waste of money. Will play with a few ideas on that, but for now have made a temp.2 finger tab. Love the bow, and its a joy to shoot.
AFAIK there's no classification as yet in AGB or NFAS that accommodates properly people shooting horsebows with a thumbring, or even with fingers.

I know that I shoot in NFAS HT and AGB Recurve Traditional - neither of which allow me to be properly competitive because the rules allow other aids (such as an arrow rest, a shaped handle on the riser, take-down replaceable limbs etc). Doesn't stop me having a highly enjoyable day out every time though! :D (I shoot a 60lb Samick Mind 50 with wooden arrows).