Bosses / targets

elastoplastscavenger said:
im thinking of making something like this. there is a small shop in edinburgh that sells foam. what kind of foam and what density and thickness is bestest? i dont even know if they could supply me with the stuff so i might end up making it out of cardboard
made it out of cardboard over the last couple of days. made the stand today.
things i learned:
it takes A LOT of cardboard to make a boss. like 2 visits to edinburgh uni to dumpster dive.
a 90x90cm boss is too heavy for one person to lift, and probably not a health and safety lift between 2 either. card is surprisingly heavy in large quantities.
the coregations (however tha might be spelled) in the card have to run across the target or the arrow will not be stopped...just ask the dent in dads tractor bonnet...
having cut it down to 60x60 its a nice weight to handle but a little small at 80m.
sawing that amount of card with a cheap saw with a crap handle will give you blisters.
its usually a good idea to measure your car BEFORE making the stand. its fits, just, but i have to drive with it resting on my left shoulder.

edit>to be tested properly tomorrow evening at an undisclosed outdoor location.

Last edited:
elastoplastscavenger said:
edit>to be tested properly tomorrow evening at an undisclosed outdoor location.
just back from testing said cardboard boss. worked very well. stopped my arrows at 40m (my arrows seem to go through everything i apoint them at, shafts are narrower than the points) so it had good stopping power.

i then went to 60m...and missed. now this is where i should point out that the original piece of grass i was planning to shoot from was the radio controlled plane club i was a member of for years untill recently due to moving away.but someone was flying a radio controlled plane on the grass so i had to go up the road and use a 2nd world war concrete runway. concrete isnt a very forgiving surface to miss on. the arrow bounced, and then about 2 seconds later i heard it land somewhere. it wasnt on the road so it must have ended up in either waist high weeds or knee high crop.

lessons are: 60x60 bosses are a bit small at 60+m,
only shoot on flat mown grass

Ffish

I'm with Mick - we have a compressed foam target in our top room.

Aardvark have them and do a great postal service as you already know :beer:
How deep will an arrow go, into one of these bosses? I'm contempleting getting one, and will probably affix it to a wall at the bottom of my garden so that it's at the correct height. I reckon I could probably get about 10 yards distance if I'm lucky. (oh, the pleasures of living in suburbia!)

What I wouldn't want however, is for an arrow to make it all the way through and contact the brickwork behind. I know they're about 9" deep, but is that depth sufficient to stop them breaking through at the back?

dtalbot

The Tuff Shot targets from Merlin should be just the job fo the yard. About ?26 and buy from Merlin on Ebay and delivery is free. Just pin whatever face you like to it.
Mine easily stops arrows from my 50lb horsebow at about 20ft range

phil_r_58

Supporter
Supporter
Ironman
The Tuff Shot targets from Merlin should be just the job fo the yard. About ?26 and buy from Merlin on Ebay and delivery is free. Just pin whatever face you like to it.
Mine easily stops arrows from my 50lb horsebow at about 20ft range
I agree about the Merlin tuff shot. It stops anything from my 50lb compound and carbons, to my daughters 15lb re-curve. The shaft tips don't come out the other side either, a good point to remember if putting up against a wall. Had mine since October last year and still no sign of softening up. We also use the many built in faces on the replaceable cover.

They are also very light to carry around, to put in the shed after use for example. The hardboard base is very stable, not once has it even looked like falling over.

madmac

I will agree about the tuff shot as have shot 42lb recurve acc and ace 45lb compund and various others at 20 60 80 and it stops them all easy out and its very light and stable so you dont have to worry about a stand free delivery on Ebay. EXCELLANT PIECE OF KIT:cheerful: