Bow explode after a release and broke nock

dottorfoggy

So this is it after a broke nock at the realese
IMG-20191218-WA0000.jpeg

Nothing happened to me, the bow just fall in parts after this dry shoot, but the most strange thing, it began little louder shooting.
I have check every single bolt/screw, tuning is the same, no change in tiller/brace/alignment.
An accurate looking on the limbs and no cracks or something else, even punching the bow mounted, don't give any strange sound
Now is just more noisy and little more dry.

Any advice?
String is just one week new.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
If it's louder something has changed. Check the adjustment bolts and the dovetail shoes aren't bent. A fraction out will be a problem and should be replaced.
Also core cracks in your limbs can take weeks to show so continue to keep an eye.

chuffalump

Try some different limbs. If the sound is the same then the issue might be the riser etc. Even better, try these limbs in a different riser if you can.

Also, don't forget that you will be much more aware of your equipment after this sort of thing. I know I was alert to every slightest creak when I did it. Easy to start over-analysing and finding noises that you only 'think' are new.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Just an idea, but when the bow dry fires like that, the limbs can bend too far the wrong way. When limbs are bent the wrong way they are in more danger of being damaged. If you try to bend the limbs just a small amount in the wrong direction, it might show up some damage that gets hidden when bending them in the correct direction.

dottorfoggy

Saturday I will try at the range and try to see if I found something wrong at home on the limbs/riser.
February first I have an important competition, hope to resolve for that :( is my first 25m

Stretch

I’d try a different string as well.

After that, swap everything on the bow, one bit at a time. Could be anything, even something as dumb as some epoxy working loose in a stabiliser bush.

Could also be nothing but scaring the cr*p out of yourself has long term psychological effects. ;)

Check your nocks folks!

Stretch

dottorfoggy

After taking a part every single screw on the riser, I didn't find any problem.
Limbs are new and there is any crack.
When happened I have shoot 120 arrows and the grouping didn't change a cm.
I wasn't in worry to shoot and had a good solid form.
The lower limb have a gap in the dove tail, can be that? the upper don't have any gap. the gap it follow the spring vertical line, no gap left/right

Last edited:

dottorfoggy

I’d try a different string as well.

After that, swap everything on the bow, one bit at a time. Could be anything, even something as dumb as some epoxy working loose in a stabiliser bush.

Could also be nothing but scaring the cr*p out of yourself has long term psychological effects. ;)

Check your nocks folks!

Stretch
i check the nocks every single time, more than before because shooting on a single target at 25m, and change them after 6 months.

btw saturday i will do everithings to check again every single component, and swap to the old string

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour

Stretch
I'm assuming that's where those marks on the floor came from... 🤣🤣

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
After taking a part every single screw on the riser, I didn't find any problem.
Limbs are new and there is any crack.
When happened I have shoot 120 arrows and the grouping didn't change a cm.
I wasn't in worry to shoot and had a good solid form.
The lower limb have a gap in the dove tail, can be that? the upper don't have any gap. the gap it follow the spring vertical line, no gap left/right
If that is a change, then yes, that is a problem.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Is it possible that you had one of the limb dovetails 'over' the dovetail plate instead on under it. It is easily done if assembling in a hurry or are distracted during assembly.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Gap in the dovetail? Have you taken it apart to check it (watch the detente spring if you do)?

dottorfoggy

Finally back on the field!
After taking a part every single bolt/screw and re-tuned, it work perfect as before! 🤩🥳
So there was some bolts loosen or something like that, happy for that, I can keep my training for the big competition 😍