Bow Handle

aquatoo

How many experienced archers shoot their bows with a handle that is not the original supplied by the manufacturer, or have modified it in some way or other?

If so what have you done to it or which make of handle are you using?

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
I've used a Jager grip on my last 2 handles....
Previous to that I had changed my Eclipse handle from the std one to the Hoyt Ortho (High) model.

Can't comment on the original Samick Masters grip, coz mine came with only the Jager (which suited me...). The SF Pro handle was nice, but I much preferred the position & repeatability that the Jager gave. I found a similar problem with the original Eclipse grip...I just couldn't get a comfortable, repeatable hand position.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I modify all the handles when I get another bow.Usually, this involves removing side plates and sharpening up the corners so that pressure on one side or the other gives feedback that I can work on.I usually find the that with my hand position as I want it, there is heavier contact under the shelf on the fingers side. I usually build up under the thumb side, to get a nice even feel.

wychcraft

Jager here too.

I got a W&W Inno CXT riser in October last year, and have to say I quite liked both the texture and the shape of the standard grip, but as the riser took a while to arrive the shop lent me a PSE riser with a Jager grip fitted. At first I thought it was a left-handed grip, but that's just how it shapes your hand onto the riser. I really got on with it and so when the W&W riser turned up I had one fitted to that too.

Really positive positioning due to the shape, and a nice grippy surface. Can't stand smooth plastic grips, especially when I have been putting sunblock on.

aquatoo

I asked the question because I have been shooting a Jager handle on a Fibrebow and I like the high placement of the fingers close to the shelf of the bow as well as the higher position than the standard handle gives. As an experiment I went back to the Fibrebow handle and my scores have recently improved although I don't think it's the handle that has done that. I have been getting a better line since having coaching over the winter months and that's probably the reason.
Just to be sure I am going back to the Jager handle as of today because it is more positive in hand position than the Fibrebow one. It will be interesting to see if my groups get better, or not.

aquatoo

I modify all the handles when I get another bow.Usually, this involves removing side plates and sharpening up the corners so that pressure on one side or the other gives feedback that I can work on.I usually find the that with my hand position as I want it, there is heavier contact under the shelf on the fingers side. I usually build up under the thumb side, to get a nice even feel.
Do you mean removing the side plates or reducing them in thickness?

Darryl

So you got them to make a grip for the CXT as it's not listed as one of the stock grips. I was considering it but at the moment the price is quite high. How'd you manage to get the grip off the CXT as I tried once and it was almost impossible to remove and I didn't want to force it.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Removing them.I sometimes make new side plates that I can carve about; sometimes I just leave them off. It depends on what is under the originals and how that fits what I want. I tend to start with an idea of how I want my hand to be, then shape the new grip till it supports my hand in the position. If it does support, it also needs to feedback if I change hand position accidentally. Hence the sharp-ish edges.

Gryff

I currently shoot a PSE X appeal with the handle removed completely and just wrapped in grip tape, works brilliantly, good sense of repeatability, little tourque, comfortable and my hand doesnt slip all ove the place when it gets sweaty.

I did shoot it with a Jager but I had no idea how to use it properly and things got messy.

I have used to putty to build up on a handle. Its okay stuff but again you need to know what your doing and why your doing it.

Bowselecta

Supporter
Supporter
Jager on my inno....it was strange at first but kept going and glad I did.
The normal grip made my palm sweaty.

**** please note I am not an experienced archer ****

Ar-Pe-Lo

don't know if I will call my self experienced archer....but using Jager grip o Fiberbow - very happy with that, consistant repetable hand position....can't ask for more from a grip :)

EVC

So you got them to make a grip for the CXT as it's not listed as one of the stock grips. I was considering it but at the moment the price is quite high. How'd you manage to get the grip off the CXT as I tried once and it was almost impossible to remove and I didn't want to force it.
If it is anything like my INNO there must be silicon underneath the grip to glue it to the riser. I took mine off using a screw driver between the grip's lowest part (looking at the riser vertically) and the riser itself, protecting the finish with a cloth. I hope this helps.

Elder.

Darryl

If it is anything like my INNO there must be silicon underneath the grip to glue it to the riser. I took mine off using a screw driver between the grip's lowest part (looking at the riser vertically) and the riser itself, protecting the finish with a cloth. I hope this helps.

Elder.
Why they need to silicon it I don't know. Hoyt just insert a shim in between to make a tight fit.