Bow length

DavidH

Guys at the club today were discussing how you measure bow length. They were comparing two recurve bows and which one was 68 and which was 70. No one seemed to know how you measure the length. I presume you measure longbows unstrung, but recurves? Someone will know the answer instantly I'm sure:)

rohenwto

Guys at the club today were discussing how you measure bow length. They were comparing two recurve bows and which one was 68 and which was 70. No one seemed to know how you measure the length. I presume you measure longbows unstrung, but recurves? Someone will know the answer instantly I'm sure:)
Start at the string groove, follow the curvature of the limb along the belly side of the bow, across the riser area, and follow the curvature of the other limb to the other string groove. This will give you the a.m.o. bow length

25 inch riser with
short limb =66
med limbs = 68
long limbs = 70

I'll let you do the maths for other length risers. :)

roytherecurve

Start at the string groove, follow the curvature of the limb along the belly side of the bow, across the riser area, and follow the curvature of the other limb to the other string groove. This will give you the a.m.o. bow length

25 inch riser with
short limb =66
med limbs = 68
long limbs = 70

I'll let you do the maths for other length risers. :)
The bow is best measured unstrung but the same rules apply, It's just easier to do with the bow unstrung and the string removed.

It is quite interesting to see the difference between different manufacturers and what they think inches actually are!

DavidH

Thanks guys, so you actually follow the curve to get the measurement. Then with a longbow, you do measure it unstrung, unless of course, it has string follow, in which case you follow the curve, not that it would make much difference. And on a horsebow? Follow all the curves? :)