[OTHER] Bow weight limit indoor shooting

i32547

Hey all,
Could anybody please inform me as to what is the limit to a bows poundage for shooting indoor Portsmouth rounds?

Or is there not one?

Thanks

Isa

efbe

none, but also not really any advantage in shooting higher poundages. I've gone from 40lb to 28lb for inside shooting and the scores are getting better

- edit - just checked and our club limits to 60lb

i32547

Of course.

The thing is, there is a member at the club who is shooting a 50# falco storm. He has a 60 or 80# on order (I forget which), and has intentions of moving to a 100# soon. Of course I encourage his enthusiasm, but am also worried about the safety (plus my bosses/stands and nets etc!)

His main intention seems to be to comfortably draw higher poundage bows, as the late ottoman period, rather than scores.

Isa

efbe

crikey, he'll struggle to get that out of the boss! If not the boss, then the wall behind it :mind-blow

i32547

Exactly!

Efbe, do you know if that is just your club's rule, or gnas?
If it is your club's rule, how did they come to that decision? As in, what aspects did they take in to consideration when deciding upon 60#?
I don't expect you to have the info to hand, but perhaps when you are next at your club you could possibly enquire...?

Thanks
Isa

fanio

There is a max weight limit - it is 60 lbs for compounds and 95 lbs for crossbows. Other bows - assuming your mate is shooting longbow - no limits. a 100 lbs longbow will not have as much power as a 60 lbs compound (and the arrow therefore not as much kinetic energy) so you should not worry about safety or boss condition.

DavidH

The great Horace Ford shot around 50#. Id hate to be shooting next to a guy indoors with 100# power, whatever kind of bow. The risk of bounceback is always there.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
As mentioned before traditional bows (or least elb) don't have weigh limits under GNAS rules, but nothing stopping your club having a rule to limit indoor poundage

To be honest though, if he can pull 100lbs for 5 dozen arrows without struggling, then he's doing really well.

Insanity-Rocks

We had a guy shooting a 120# elb at our club a few years back, it did nowhere near as much damage to the boss as my compound.

He was consistently hitting the boss though, if the person at your club is destroying your nets/stands that's reason enough to stop him shooting it if that's what your committee decides. Rather than a limit on poundage you could make a club rule stopping people from causing significant damage to your equipment, that way you could stop the person/people causing the problem and not impact on everyone else.

i32547

Well... He has received his bow...it's an 85# Falco Storm. He is now looking to order a 100# if Falco can make one.
He has shot it one evening, he did a lot of warming up beforehand, and warmed up at the club with his 50# before shooting the 85#. He shot it for ten ends, 2.5 dozen arrows, and he said he managed it comfortably.
I am not around myself, so can not assess the condition of the bosses. I did instruct them beforehand however to make sure the net is not strung tight at all and that it has a good amount of slack in it.