Brace height and bareshaft tuning

RayM

Hello folks,

So I'm learning the art of faffing around with my bow settings and have some queries:

When it comes to bareshaft tuning and braceheight setting - should I adjust the BH before bareshaft tuning (in order to get the fletched group tighter) or does that all break once I start fiddling with the bow settings (increasing/decreasing poundage, changing nock height) or do I do the bareshaft tuning first then adjust the BH?

Is the BH a constant irrespective of the tune of the bow? (so purely archer dependent)

Cheers

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Brace height has very little to do with the archer. Your brace height needs to be set to allow the limbs to perform properly and efficiently while still giving enough room for the arrow to pass the riser without contact.
It's the first thing you should roughly set - put it about halfway through your manufacturer's recommendation, and start there. It might not be your final Brace height but it will get you going.
After that, bareshaft tune firstly to set your nocking point correctly. Finally tune till the bare shaft is in your group. If the bow is noisy, or your are getting fletching damage you probably have contact. Check how your arrow is placed over centre and adjust. Then consider raising your brace height, a few twists at a time. Never exceed your manufacturer's recommendations, and be aware that raising your brace height will fractionally change the over-centre, nocking point, and efficiency of the limbs, so keep an eye on these as you go.