Brace Height

bobbyger74

Hoping Sid or anyone else for that matter can clear this up for me.
I have a Black Douglas 38# at 28". 25" Black Douglas CX Riser and Hex-6 W limbs with a 30" Draw

I am getting a bit of tip vibration after the shot and was looking at possibly the brace height being the issue. Looking at your recommendations on the resources section of the Border Archery website, I found 2 differing brace heights.

TD Bows & Brace Height Recommendations. - Black Douglas DX riser HEX6.5 limbs 25" Riser 70" bow - Suggested Brace Height 7"-7.75"

String Lengths and Brace Height Recommendations. -

Hex 6 70" suggested brace height 7.6" - 8.5"

I am currently at approx. 7.6" (Lower End), do you think it would be wise to increase the brace height. I am shooting Easton Powerflight 500s @ 31 inch with a 125 Grain tip.

Thanks for any input and suggestions

bobbyger74

Still, you've checked that it hasn't changed?
To be honest, I never checked it when I set it up. as it wasn't an ILF and there is no adjustment. It was never really quiet but I thought it was just because it was next to my ear when shooting. However, I noticed the vibration/oscillating in the tips when someone else shot it.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Ok, that can't be helped then. So you've done a bareshaft test to check nocking point?

BorderBows

Not all bows have the grips in the same position within the riser.
so lets define the two ideas that both use almost identical terminology.
there are High grips and High grips.
Lets define the ones your probably thinking of. High Wrist grips are ones with a different angle to rest the palm of your hand on. and ironically thats not the one i want to focus on though it does play a part in this game.
The other is a High grip as in its vertical placement within the riser.
for illistrative reasons im going to get stupid here. The grip can be up in the top limb pocket. meaning you will have to push REALLLLY hard on the heal of your hand to balance the bow, or the bottom pocket, in which case your going to have to push very hard high in to the throat of the grip.
this is the two extremes.

The old school way of adjusting tiller is by pressure on the grip. now folks just want to cuddle thier allen key sets.

our bows have the grip a little high in the riser. meaning you can settle a little onto the palm swell a little.
MASSIVE caviat. everyones grips a bow differently, and this also runs with hand shape, even on the draw hand. loading up the string differently to others.

So when i say you can settle on the grip a little more. others will disagree, simply because they pull the bow differently to you.

So have a little play with pushing through the throat, through to pushing hard on the heal of your hand and see what the bows reaction is like.
in there somewhere is 90% of all bow happyness.

If you still have troubles, ping me an email [email protected]

bobbyger74

Sid,

I had a play last night. I have my Brace Height @ 8" and tried to Push a bit more with the web of my hand through the throat of the grip. It seems to have helped. I just hope my Brace height isn't too high now for a 70 " Hex 6 bow.