[Warbow] Buying a Warbow

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
Hi guys,

Most of you know I've been shooting longbows and upping my weight (bow weight and sadly physical too :( ) over the years, and as I'm currently shooting about 65lbs for target I think it might be time to start venturing to warbows. So I was wondering where can I get a good quality warbow from? Doesn't have to be a Yew one, quite happy with a laminated one until I get more of a feel for them (and chance to save up for a Yew one)

Still thinking about weight, and need to work out my draw length to ear/natural anchor. But thought I'd look around first.

WillS

Longbow shop have some. Get something made by Ben Perkins, or Ian Coote. They're exceptional.

Don't get hung up on the ear thing. A true Warbow draw is down to the collar bone more than the ear. If you try and draw to the ear you'll be using target archery muscles, and just pulling further which will never work for a Warbow.

Honestly, I'd say that if you've been building up bow weights using a target bow, and drawing 28", you'll find any Warbow quite difficult as it uses such a different set of muscles and movement. I'd recommend getting a 65# bow that draws to 32" and getting used to sitting inside that draw length. Otherwise you'll end up buying something around 80# and drawing it using target archery muscles and it'll feel like you're hitting a wall about 12" into the draw.

Also, the anchor and length are less relevant. The basic idea is you get / make some Warbow class arrows, which are more or less 32" long, and just pull the thing back till they touch your hand. Too much focus on anchor point will stop you focusing on movement.

Yew Selfbow

Honestly, I'd say that if you've been building up bow weights using a target bow, and drawing 28", you'll find any Warbow quite difficult as it uses such a different set of muscles and movement. I'd recommend getting a 65# bow that draws to 32" and getting used to sitting inside that draw length. Otherwise you'll end up buying something around 80# and drawing it using target archery muscles and it'll feel like you're hitting a wall about 12" into the draw.
That's interesting ... which muscles are used for each discipline Willy

WillS

I know exactly what you were hoping for.

The eyebrows are very important during a Warbow draw though. No hope of getting over 100# if you don't use them properly. It's what took me the longest time to learn.