[Horsebow] Can I stringwalk a Grozer biocomposite Horsebow

TJT

Hi All,

I have got myself a lovely new Grozer Assyrian Biocomposite horsebow. Never had a horn and sinew bow before. I was just wondering if I can safely stringwalk it without detriment to the bow. Anyone have any experience, advice or insight into this?

I was basically planning to only go down maybe one finger to raise point of aim from 'bit of curtain below target' to 'ooh, it is somewhere on the actaul boss' :)

Thanks on advance.

Tim.

blakey

Hi All,

I have got myself a lovely new Grozer Assyrian Biocomposite horsebow. Never had a horn and sinew bow before. I was just wondering if I can safely stringwalk it without detriment to the bow. Anyone have any experience, advice or insight into this?

I was basically planning to only go down maybe one finger to raise point of aim from 'bit of curtain below target' to 'ooh, it is somewhere on the actaul boss' :)

Thanks on advance.

Tim.
As someone who has finally sorted stringwalking, after a lot of angst, I would would definitely say at your own peril. String walking does horrible things to the tune of a bow. Modern archers use massive risers and long ILF limbs to soak up the unavoidable vibration, and the explosion of the dry fire on the long crawls. I would simply never dream of doing that to a decent bow, especially a trad made bio bow. I'm sure it would take a set on the lower limb and booger it up. I love shooting a conventional med split finger release. Bow feels great, limbs working together, no noise. :)

iangriffin

TJT - I am on my second Grozer bio Assyrian. My first blew up after 10 months, they were very helpful and happy to replace it with no hassle and quick service. They gave me the choice of bio stock they had. I love the way the Assy looks and shoots so I picked another of the same. This new improved version has lasted me 3 years and is still going strong. I don't know what string walking is. But if you tell me, maybe I can help. The one tip I can give is always warm up your bow before use, even in summer. It is good shooting med style and even better with a ring.

steve Morley

I agree with Blakey, Stringwalking adds extra stress/shock to the bow, modern ILF bows can handle it, Also the plunger and wire rests on Barebow setups help with tuning but even then with the gadgets it can still be tricky get a good tune for all distances.

If you want to still try I would suggest a single 20y crawl and Gap for all the other distances, you have a better chance of a tune and not stressing the bow too much, I've done this with wooden Recurves but never tried with my Saluki's, nor do I want to.

BillM

As Steve indicates in his post a bow can only realisticaly be tuned to shoot at it's optimum on a small range of distances, with making slight adjustments for other distances. One of the field club got new limbs and I set up his barebow (ILF fitting) with tweeking of button and nocking point as I watched him shoot at 15m, and the arrows flew beautifully. At that distance he was using the med draw. He has now started string walking and at short and long targets the arrows are porpoising due to the effect on the tillering. He just has to accept it as he now has sight marks for the course and is getting good scores, and wants an Arrowhead at the field champs in April. He chooses to string walk rather than the med draw with finding a new set of sight marks.

BillM

steve Morley

Bill last year I purchased a super stiff Stolid Bull riser, it was easy to tune and I get good down the line arrow flight at every distance and no need for an adjustable plunger, just use a standard DX plunger, makes life a lot easier, sometimes I have to shoot my Best Moon just to remind me how awesome this new riser is. :yes:

Stringwalking wood bows you can shoot decent groups at limited rangers 15 to 30 yards, then it gets kinda freaky with arrow flight

TJT

Many thanks for your input on this. I have a Best Zenit recurve which I shoot barebow. I am not allowed a Stolid Bull as I already have way too many bows / nowhere near enough time to shoot all of my bows. I stringwalk indoors with my Zenit to move my point-of-aim upwards and am well aware of the shock and vibration this causes. I think I will play it safe and shoot my Grozer conventionally - I really don't want to damage my lovely bow :)

steve Morley

I am not allowed a Stolid Bull as I already have way too many bows
Your selling it all wrong, the better half will understand if you explain in her own logic. Bows are like women's shoes, you just cannot have too many.:huge: