Carbon arrows for non all-carbon arrow competitions

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I've been to a few comps, well more than a few, that state 'please no all carbon arrows unless they have been made detectable with a metal detector'. Now leaving aside the obvious points, it is not clear whether they mean the whole arrow or a significant part of the arrow. Assuming the answer is a 'significant part' I have just tried the following that works really well and easily detectable.
1594207236273.png
The above arrow is detectable for the entire length of the pin and wrap. Looks good too. I wonder if this would past muster at a comp?

Last edited:

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Well, T-Cut the logos off, go to a comp and shove them under the metal detector while the judge is there...

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Well, T-Cut the logos off, go to a comp and shove them under the metal detector while the judge is there...
I have a set of C1s with the logos removed. Just cant remember what the damned spine is now 🤣 I've just ordered a set of ACEs but would love to try Victory VAP 166 elites. For barebow I think ACEs are overkill but I have the need for speed :)

Last edited:

modernlongbow

That's me to the left, shooting an ACE off a 71", 44# flatbow's shelf. The only reason I'm not still shooting that Birtwistle bow is I have recovered enough to draw a 50# Ozark Hunter. ACEs are very obedient and always go where one points them.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
That's a good point. Never heard it put like that. Having said that I've seen ally/carbon arrows explode and only ever found half the bits. Did find one bit on top of an archers tent. 🤣 These days breaks are a lot cleaner than the likes of old Beman DIVA arrows.

AndyS

Supporter
Supporter
The above arrow is detectable for the entire length of the pin and wrap.
That's interesting, I need to replace my arrows as I've lengthened my draw by something over an inch, and was considering trying a set of carbons rather than another AC shaft - if they can be made more detectable that would be a definite plus.
The pin is obviously detectable, but, if you don't mind me asking, how have you made the wrapped section detectable? I was under the impression that wraps were a thin sheet of vinyl or something similar, which isn't detectable. So have you added something else to make these detectable, or are there detectable wraps on sale that I haven't found?

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Hi
It's thin strips of baking-foil under the wrap but short of the ends by 5mm. I used the next size wrap up to make up for areas with no glue. Baking-foil is the enemy of metal detectorists as it easily detectable. Extra weight 1.3gr. I need to test it on my larger detector but it triggers my hand held scanner no problem.
1594364829908.png
1594364846161.png
1594364861901.png

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
You could just glue the foil on without the wraps and have awesome shiny arrows...

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I would be inclined to put the foil down the inside. It is possible to attach it securely along its length so it doesn't bunch up at the front, after the shots.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Maybe rather than a strip of aluminium, you could use a thin tube and it would add strength. And maybe the manufacturer could be encouraged to include it during the manufacturing process.

Oh, hang on a minute....

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Or.... how about a thin ally tube round the outside instead of inside. That way, you won't be in danger from any splinters.
I'm surprised no one else thought of that; must be ahead of my time!!!
Oh, hang on a minute.... you would need special piles to do that... ones that fit the inner carbon tube but also fit flush to the outer ally.... mmmmm?
I think I will wait for Easton to invent them.
They could call them "full length metal wraps".
If I had listened to my teachers when I was at school I could have been an engineer or something.
As it is, when I left school 15 years ago, I couldn't get a job.... still haven't got one!!

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
All kidding aside, it seems to me that the manufacturers could address the problem by making carbon arrows detectable, for example by embedding something detectable into the weave.

Or is this problem something specific to the UK?

jerryRTD

All kidding aside, it seems to me that the manufacturers could address the problem by making carbon arrows detectable, for example by embedding something detectable into the weave.

The best way would be to coat the arrows with ferric oxide paint

Whitehart

The problem is specific to the UK and Target archery, I have had many conversations with carbon arrow manufacturers, they are not convinced it is worth the investment.

Corax67

A lot of the longbow archers at our club have put a strip of self adhesive copper foil on each of our arrows to aid metal detection in long grass which works really well but I agree that it’s broken all carbon arrows which are probably the big reason for the rule.

Karl