Changes in the wind

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
....and this is why I don't shoot recurve. It's so damn picky :LOL:
Shooting compound may get rid of the need for s clicker, but it still leaves the bow shoulder with work to do.
Pulling against the stops can cause the shoulder to rise slowly during the aim. The longer the aim. the worse it gets and leaves the shoulder feeling weaker/less in control during the power stroke.

Bandit

Shooting compound may get rid of the need for s clicker, but it still leaves the bow shoulder with work to do.
Pulling against the stops can cause the shoulder to rise slowly during the aim. The longer the aim. the worse it gets and leaves the shoulder feeling weaker/less in control during the power stroke.
I never had any problems with Compound though. 60lb draw all day long. 45lb & 55lb longbow all day long too. I hate recurve :LOL:

jerryRTD

The best way to stop the shoulder rising when pilling into the back wall is to lower both shoulders as you pull into the back wall.
Also you need to take a good look at your stabs and see if you have too much weight on the long rod

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I tend to find a low grip helps keep the shoulder down when i shot recurve. Why are grips higher on a recurve compared to a compound bow?
I suspect compounds have a low grip to help with pulling through the peak weight, bone on bone. I definitely would not want to shoot 60lb all day with a high wrist grip. But recurves holding weights are higher for longer with wider grips. I think with the wider grips it would be putting too much pressure on the lower part of the grip, too much heel, if the grip was too low. But I think the really high grips of the 80s and 90s are gone.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
From what I remember of the really high grips it was thought that " minimum contact" between bow and hand was a good idea; less chance of torquing or heeling. I suspect it was an idea that caught on because some archers did well with it. Perhaps not well supported by bio mechanics these days.
A fat grip on a compound is easier to torque than on a recurve. And with low holding weight, the comfort isn't such a problem.

jerryRTD

For me the purpose of a 'low' 'grip' is to ensure that the centre of pressure of the wrist joint is aligned with the center pressure of the grip of the bow. To aid in the location of the grip I have a small ridge of epoxy putty on the grip of the bow

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Kid Curry have you looked at Performance Archery. He covers both recurve and compound; good to see the two side by side.... almost.

Hawkmoon

I was shooting yesterday and, getting near the end of the session, I was walking to the target with a coach. He's was not coaching, I have never had a coach, just chatting about form and H/Cs but specifically I had two goals for this year. I mentioned I was quite please to be shooting around 30H/C barebow but would like to finish the season around 27H/C. No real reason other than I think it would be cool to shoot Recurve MB with a barebow 🤣
He said he would have a look at my form on the next couple of ends and suggested I was rolling my bow shoulder in on the draw. It was about an inch. He suggested setting the shoulder before the draw. I don't coach but I watch a lot of video form, mostly female Korean woman. I noticed, without exception they all set their shoulder first.
So I thought I would look at old footage to see how archery form has changed and chose Darrell Pace...1984
I have to say, if he was on the line today I doubt he would stand out of the 'accepted format' crowd. Anyway, will set my shoulder and wait for those 27H/C scores to come rolling in :ROFLMAO:
As far as I know you currently need 858 in a 1440 for an MB score which is a 44 H/C, so you are way over that.